Plans For Escape

The boys stood in shock as the shadow continued to hit the door and shout in a drunken rage. Gabriel realised this situation could end up really bad as he saw the look of horror flash across Sam's face as he began to think of a way out of it.

"Gabe, go unlock the back door." Sam whispered to Gabriel, they hadn't moved since they heard Sam's dad at the door. "Slowly. Go now." Sam said under his breath as he passed Gabriel his keys.

"I...I know you're...in there... Sammy...I can hear you." The voice from behind the door said in drunken slur. Gabriel had unlocked the door and was now heading back over to Sam. "You have to let me in...I'm your father..." He yelled from outside. Gabriel nodded to Sam, silently telling him he'd done what he'd asked.

"Get ready to run, Gabe, I'm going to open this door, then we run, okay?" Sam whispered. "Grab your stuff and pass me my bag and jacket." Gabriel did just that, he picked up his bag and Sam's, passing him his things. "Go wait out in the backyard, take my things and get ready to lock the door behind me when I come through." Sam rethought his plan and gave Gabriel his things and he slowly walked out into the backyard. "Ready..." Sam called through the house.

"Ready..." Gabriel's voice sounded from the yard. Sam put his hand on the latch ready to open the door.

"3...2...1..." Sam released the latch and opened the door and his father stumbled in. Sam ran through the house to the backdoor, his father following him in a drunken rage. Sam reached the yard and Gabriel slammed the door shut and locked the door. "Go lock the front door; I'll make sure he stays round here." Sam ordered in a whisper, his dad hadn't seen Gabriel yet, to Sam's relief. Gabriel ran quietly round to the front of the house and pulled the door silently shut, slipped the key into the lock and turned it

"Done!" Gabriel shouted and Sam ran round from the back of the house, carrying his bag and jacket.

"I'm so sorry you had to see that." Sam said as he tried to get his phone from his pocket. "I just need to call Dean, tell him what happened, then we'll leave, okay?" Gabriel nodded as Sam punched in Dean's number on his phone.

"Hey, Dean...Code Red at the house...we got out fine...yeah, he knows now...I've locked him in...out the back...he seemed pretty angry about something...I suppose...let him calm down then...no don't, he might...anyway I'm off to Gabe's, I'll see you tomorrow...bye."

"Code Red?" Gabriel says as Sam turns to face him.

"Yeah, me and Dean, we have this code thing, like Green is family's coming round, Blue is out of food and..." Sam was interrupted by Gabriel

"And Red is dad's drunk, isn't it?" Gabriel guessed and Sam nodded. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"It doesn't happen that often and we deal with it!" Sam exclaimed.

"Sam! Sammy, calm down." Gabriel's voice was sympathetic. "How many times?"

"Three or four times a month." Sam muttered and turned away from Gabriel but Gabriel grabbed his hand spun him round to face him.

"Sammy, you've got me now and a place to stay if this happens again, okay." Gabriel reassured Sam. "Now, let's get to mine."

"Okay. You mean it, whenever he's...he's like that..." Sam trailed off again.

"Of course, Sammy, of course I mean it!" Gabriel looked up at Sam. "You are not alone." Sam stops and looks down at Gabriel.

"Did you just quote Doctor Who to me?" Sam laughs.

"Hey, it made you laugh, didn't it?" Gabriel smirked.

"I suppose it did." Sam admitted with a grin

"Do you wanna grab some lemonade before we go to mine?" Gabriel asked as they got closer to his favourite drink spot.

"Can do." Sam said a hint of misery in his voice. Gabriel took Sam's hand in his and pulled him into the little cafe and ordered two lemonades to go. They grabbed their drinks and started towards Gabriel's house once more. After a few minutes of walking in silence, Gabriel broke it, asking Sam a question.

"What do you do when your dad is...err...like that?"

"Well...I...err...I normally spend the night in Dean's room, he's got a lock on his door, so dad can't get in." Sam mumbled but Gabriel heard.

"Oh my God, does he scare you?" Gabriel asked and Sam replied with a single nod. "Does...Does he...hit you?"

"That's why we stay out the way in Dean's room. Dean doesn't want me to get hurt, even if he does." Sam said quietly.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Gabriel looks up at Sam, his face serious.

"Because I didn't want...I didn't want to get anyone else involved in this...I didn't want anyone else to get hurt!" Sam shouted, Gabriel shrunk back in his step and looked up at Sam again.

"Okay, no need to shout. Let's not fight. Come here." Gabriel grabbed Sam and brought him into his embrace.

"I'm sorry. Can we just drop it then?" Sam whispered and Gabriel nodded in agreement.

"Come on, let's get back to mine." Gabriel offered his hand to Sam and he took it.