Chapter 1-- Erika

Chapter 1

        Erika narrowed her eyes as the wave whooshed closer. She abruptly turned towards the shore and paddled, standing up when she reached the crest of the wave and slid along the top. After doing a series of flips and twists, she got to the beach and jumped off as the board raked patterns in the sand. She weaved around the people on the beach and arrived by her board. Early morning surfing wasn’t uncommon in Eaglewood, Florida.

Surfing was one of her favorite sports. Then came swimming, wake-boarding and jet-skiing. And let’s not forget kayaking! She dried off and picked up her bag and her board, trudging over the sand to the house with the wraparound porch on the edge of the beach. The board had been a gift from her grandmother, before she passed away from cancer. Made especially for her, she traced the delicate carvings in the fiberglass. They vaguely resembled patterns of waves, with dolphins leaping up over the top of the sea. Two pairs of bows and arrows were aimed at the sun which hung at the tip of the board. It was the first completely transparent board in the world. And probably the most intricate one. Reaching the shed on the side of her home, she carefully balanced the surfboard on the rack and went inside.

        “Mom! I’m back!” Erika hollered as she went to the bathroom and took a shower. Emerging, she took a look at her closet. Drawing out a white and silver patterned v-neck t-shirt and a pair of jean shorts with palm trees printed on the pockets, she threw them on and grabbed a studded leather jacket off the hanger.       Lugging her cheerleading stuff and her backpack down the stairs, she snagged a bagel from the kitchen island and took a bite out of it.

        “Erika, honey, can’t you stay for breakfast?”

        “No, sorry Mom, I can’t. Busy busy!” she sang. 

        “RILEY!” Erika shrieked loudly. “I’m going to be late if you don’t get your lazy ass down here, now!”

       “Ughh, you sound like a fricking banshee! I’m coming, alright?” Riley barked as he walked down the stairs, running his hands through his already tousled hair. He took the keys to his convertible off the hook by the door and strode out to his car, getting in and opening the top. He only then remembered Erika standing in the doorway. “Well, get in!” He said, gesturing at the passenger’s seat. Erika rolled her eyes and got in, chucking her things in the back seat. Then, they took off, her brown and blue-streaked hair flowing out in the breeze behind her as they headed towards Darkfire High School.

 =====

“Hey!” Erika called as she hurried up to where her friends stood. “Sup’ guys?”

“Hi, Eri,” Destiny smiled kindly. “How were the waves this morning?” Destiny Heatherwing was one of Erika’s best friends. She had platinum blonde hair and rich, chocolate brown eyes. Storm, her twin, with her hazel brown hair and green eyes stood beside her, typing away on her Blackberry.

“Awesome,” Erika grinned. “I think I’ve got the next competition in the bag.”

“So, people, what are we doing for our birthday?” Valkyrie asked, brushing her bright red and black curls back behind her ear. “A party we host will definitely be ‘party of the year’.”

“Maybe a beach party,” Morrigan mused. “It’s nearly June 1st guys. We need to get this figured out, STAT.” Morrigan had pure black hair with red highlights and stormy grey eyes whereas Valkyrie had red hair with black highlights and eyes as dark as night.

“Erika!” A boy with messy brown curls and green eyes came up to the girls. “Are you free this Friday?”

Erika rolled her eyes. Loading her stuff into her locker, she tossed a look back at her friends. “I’ll be back in a flash, guys.”