Chapter 4

Chapter 4: 

Nadia's POV:

"Who's Cecilia?" Zack whispered in my ear.

"My mother" I answered him but then I regretted opening my stupid mouth.

Mom and Sarah kept talking about Leticia, Zack's mother. And I could sense Zack's muscles flinch under his shirt, he obviously was still attached to his mother so I had no idea of what has gotten to me when I interrupted them to change the subject.

"Where's Maria?" I asked Sarah who was still sharing a conversation with mom.

"Well, she's in California, she's staying with her cousin Anna" She smiled at me genuinely "She apologizes for not making it today"

"What about Sam?" I remembered him out of a sudden.

"He's in Canada with your brother" She replied casually.

Speaking of my brother: Adam, he couldn't make it to the wedding since he had an important exam that day and he had to stay in Canada. He apologized for two weeks on a road but since it was a fake marriage, I couldn't care less about who attended the wedding.

"You have a brother?" Zack whispered in my ear quite surprised.

"Yeah, he's three years older" I chuckled at his expression since I kind of forgot to mention that small detail. Or big detail.

"And why haven't I met my brother and mother in law?" He raised his eyebrows at me.

"Because I had my reasons" I smirked him, mischievously.

"Playing with that card again" He frowned at me but replaced his expression with a smile.

I didn't even care about their conversation since my mind decided to take me to the past. I knew aunt Leticia, she used to be my mother's friend from college. While Sarah and Leticia studied law, mom studied business management. I met Leticia ten years ago, she came to my thirteenth birthday party with Sarah and her two children. She was amazing and full of life. God bless her.

"You know kids" Sarah brought me back to present "When Leticia gave birth to Zack, she called Cecilia right away" She chuckled to herself, as if she just remembered a joke.

"Yeah, I remember, I was 6 months pregnant with Nadia" Mom laughed for few seconds then gained her voice back "You remember what she told me?"

"She said and I'm quoting her 'I have a boy so you better keep your daughter for him'" Sarah smiled sadly, a tear crept on her cheek "Leticia didn't want to know the gender of her baby, she wanted it to be a surprise"

"She was full of life" Mom stated as a matter of fact.

I could tell that mom, Sarah and Leticia, they were best friends, just from the sad smiles they both both had when they remembered her. They shared a lot of priceless memories and the looks they had when they were reliving those moments, it showed how much they were disorientated and broken.

I unconsciously turned my head to look at Zack, his face was as hard as a rock while his eyes were focused on the ground as if it was the most interesting thing in the world. I held his hand and tightened my grip of it to get his attention.

"Are you okay?" I asked, not sure of what I was waiting from him to say.

"I'm fine" He nodded bidding a smile on his face but I could notice the tear which threatened to escape his eyes.

Putting my feelings toward him aside, my heart hurt at the sight of him in that position because I surely knew how it felt to lose a parent. At first, I denied that my father actually died but then when the truth had crept to my brain, I accepted that I would never see him again although every once in a while, I waited for him to enter through the door with my favorite chocolate or ice cream.