chapter fourteen

July 2, 2008

"Now that is a fine thing," Timmy comments about the young woman he was admiring.

Kai smirks and mimics his Irish accent, "That's the bride's sister, lad. I'll remind you, she's not a thing, she's a woman."

"Hopefully, she won't scatter away from me," He stands but Kai sits him back down.

"I assure you with your Irish charm slacking, she will be running away from you," Kai raises his eyebrow, "Allow the wingman to help. Weston!"

"How may I be of service?" Weston the waiter asks.

"My friend here is requesting a drink to be sent to that lovely woman over there. I suppose some champagne will do," Kai points slyly and shrugs.

"Right away," Weston nods.

"You know the waiter?" Timmy asks as Weston heads off to the woman.

"Timmy, I hired the people for Joey's wedding," Kai gives him a blank face.

"What are you two up to?" Dakota appears beside Kai.

"Oh lord, she's looking. She's smiling, look at that smile," Timmy lays his hand on his chest which then goes into fists as it covers his mouth. He does a quick turn around as he becomes nervous, "She's coming over here, act normal."

Dakota and Kai stifle their laughter at Timmy's actions, then try putting on a straight face as the woman arrives. She had long golden-brown hair that flowed down to the mid of her back, hazel eyes that matched Timmy's, and a thin, slender frame.

"I'm Timothy but my friends call me Timmy," Timmy introduces himself.

"Auburn," The woman smiles, "So the waiter tells me you bought me a drink, for what reason?"

"Well lassie, I find you very beautiful and I'd like to get to know you; so maybe pictures—I mean movies and dinner?" He tells her catching on to his slang.

She laughs shortly, "Okay, I'll give you a shot."

He takes a moment to respond before stuttering out, "Wait, just like that?"

"Do you want to join me for a dance?" Auburn invites him with a small smile.

"Let me finish up here and I'll join you," Timmy answers and nods.

She nods and walks off, Dakota and Kai let go of their laughs.

"Well lassie, I find you very beautiful," Kai restates what Timmy had said.

"Thank you, I'll give you a chance for being so charming," Dakota replies sarcastically.

"I feel like a dog with two mickies," Timmy is absolutely lost in his own world.

"What?" Kai asks in confusion, not completely knowing all the Irish slang yet.

"I can't be mad at you because I'm very happy," Timmy pats Kai's shoulder before walking off to join Auburn.

Kai turns his attention to Dakota then to Joey and Leilani, "I can't believe he's married."

"Why not?" Dakota asks and tilts her head.

"I mean it's amazing how fast time passes, it feels like yesterday was when I first started college and now I'm here at my brother's wedding," Kai answers thinking through the whole timeline, "And through all these years I've gone through so much, and time just never seems to slow down for even a few seconds."

"Time doesn't slow down for anyone, not even the gods that people believe in."

"Sometimes I wonder if I got to know you enough before taking things into a relationship," He sighs and gazes at her longingly.