He's My Teacher!

This has beeen in my computer for a while and thought I would share it with you and see what you think?

==========================================

He’s My Teacher

                Waking up I cursed the alarm clock once again waking from a nice dream forcing me back into my lonely reality. Being a thirty-three year old mother and waking up with no husband in your bed next to you can get old. If I am a mother where is my husband? Well I don’t have one. I did. My husband and I were not the perfect couple but we were happy. That is until he contracted meningitis. He passed away two years ago; leaving me to raise Ava. She is 15 and it’s difficult to keep up with her. She is in every club and sport she can get into and while I do everything I can sometimes I do miss her events because of work. My husband didn’t have any life insurance to speak of. We did have a clause on our home loan that paid it off if anything were to happen to him so the house is paid for and all mine. Other than that though I have to make ends meet and there are so many bills to make every month. During the day I am a substitute teacher and at night I work at one of the local gas stations. Thus far I have been able to provide for Ava but soon she will be ordering things like her class ring, school jacket, and then it will be senior stuff. I am just not sure how I will be able to pay for it all. Maybe I can find another job or something.

                Walking down the hall I knock on Ava’s door and open it to see her fast asleep on her bed. She sleeps at the foot of her bed and always has ever since she was a baby. For a second I just watch her sleep and think how little she looks asleep like that. I miss her being a baby. She is almost all grown up and within the next few years will be leaving me to go onto her life. Don’t get me wrong I want to see her grow up and thrive but I will miss her so much when she is gone. She is the only thing I really have left of the life I had when Richard was alive.

“Ava,” I say in a normal voice. She doesn’t even stir in her sleep.

“Ava,” I say practically screaming. She stirs finally.

“What time is it?” she asked.

“6:20,” I reply and she jumps into action. Clothes flying in a flurry as she is looking for the outfit she intends to wear to school today.

“Mom have you seen my white long sleeve shirt that goes under my cheer uniform?” she asked all panicky.

“Yes Ava it’s on your dresser. Where you put it last night when we did laundry,” I say sarcastically knowing what response I would get. She rolled her eyes as said, “Mom that was last night I slept since then.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------