Chapter 12-Coffee Break (my face)

Chapter 12

As Keith parked the car he reached for the door handle but I stopped him.

“No, I can walk myself to the door. I really just want to avoid any confrontation with him tonight. Thank you so much,” I said as I pulled my purse out to pay him for his gas. He put his hand over my open purse.

“Nope, you are not giving me money. Just taking the piss out of Darrel is payment enough,” he said smirking at me. Reaching across I hugged him tightly for just a second and fled the car to my house. Slamming the door, I locked it and let out a sigh of relief but it didn’t last long. Within seconds, I heard a second car pull into my driveway. Looking out the window I saw Darrel jump out of his car. Keith also exited his car meeting up with Darrel in my drive. Darrel immediately got into Keith’s face and I started to worry but when he swung and caught Keith’s nose I couldn’t stand on the sidelines any longer. Rushing out the door I bent down to check on Keith.

“Are you okay?” I asked as I saw the blood running down his face.

“Yeah I am fine,” he said leaning against my chest as I held him up.

“What the hell is wrong with you?” I asked Darrel.

“What the hell are you doing running off with him?” he argued back.

“She wasn’t feeling the fun you were having with your friends,” Keith chimed in.

“Shut the hell up or I will work on more of your face,” Darrel said hatefully.

“I don’t think you will,” I spoke up. Darrel glared at me. “You need to leave,” I told him point blank.

“Look, I don’t know what is wrong but we have been having a great time together and I don’t want it to end,” he said his eyes softening just a little.

“You see that’s just it. I am not looking for just having fun with someone. I was under the impression that we were something more than friends but I was wrong,” I said seriously and wishing we weren’t having this conversation in front of a semi-stranger.

“We can be whatever you want us to be,” he said.

“That’s not how this works. You obviously aren’t ready for a relationship and that’s all I am ready for. Just go home or go back to the bar and have more fun with blondie. I am going to take Keith in and clean him up,” I said as I helped Keith up from the ground.

“If he stays, I stay. He is nothing but a player and he will have you in bed and leave you in the morning without so much as a look back,” Darrel said. I spun around and slapped him across his face. He looked shocked and I heard Keith laughing.

“So nice to know what you really think about me, friend,” Keith said in between guffaws.

“Same here,” I said without any amusement. “Leave. Now,” I said punctuating each word. He stomped back to his car and spun out of my drive way too fast. Keith was still leaning on me as we went up to the door.

“Do you have to lean on me so much?” I asked.

“Well, I did get punched in the nose by Dman himself, he is like a gorilla on steroids and my vision is a little blurry, you wouldn’t want me to reinjure myself would you?” he asked looking at me with innocent eyes.

“You are a player, aren’t you?” I asked. He chuckled.

“Dang, if he hadn’t told on me would I have had a chance?” he asked smirking.

“Not if hell froze over,” I said laughing.

“Again, you wound me, beautiful,” he said looking downtrodden.

“Let’s get your face cleaned up and see if he did any real damage because a messed up face could be a deal breaker for the ladies,” I told him trying to hide my laughter. He froze in his tracks just as we had almost made it to the bathroom. Suddenly his leaning on me ceased as he ran through the bathroom door and was checking out his injury in the mirror. Once I had him cleaned up I offered him a cup of coffee. We were sitting out on the porch drinking our coffee in silence for a few minutes.

“I think he really likes you,” he said. I rolled my eyes.

“Yes, and we see how much he likes you,” I said giggling.

“No, I mean really he has never actually punched me in the face before. I think he really likes you,” he said seriously.

“That’s great but I am not a play toy for him to pick up when he feels like it. I need a man that’s in it for the long haul. That’s just who I am,” I said seriously back to him. I saw the sparkle in his eye as I said this.

“Whew, good thing he ratted me out because you are the type of woman that I am allergic to. Commitment eeeh, that’s what they do when you cannot be left on your own anymore,” he said shivering. I couldn’t help but laugh out loud.

“Are you ever serious?” I asked. He nodded.

“When I have to, don’t break his heart, okay?” he pleaded.

“Impossible, he already beat me to that. It’s getting late I should go to bed,” I told him.

“Do I at least get a good night kiss considering I took one humongous fist to my face for you?” he asked.

“Sure come here,” I said he was off his chair and to me in a second. Good grief, manho much.

I stood and leaned toward him as he was bending down for his kiss. At the last moment, I leaned swiftly to the side and kissed his cheek. He pouted at me.

“You didn’t specify where the kiss had to be,” I said as I laughed at the expression on his face. “Seriously though thank you for saving me tonight,” I said as I gave him a hug. I saw a flash and looked up to see his phone in the air.

“Why would you take a picture of me hugging you?” I asked a little miffed.

“Because it will drive him crazy,” he said. I shook my head.

“Goodnight Keith,” I said in an exasperated tone as I grabbed his cup and made my way inside locking my door once again. Now I was just exhausted from all of the commotion of the night and needed to get several hours of sleep.

=============================================

We are getting close to an ending here folks maybe just a couple of chapters left. Feedback?