Chapter 1 - The Reaping

I'm not nervous. Even though it's reaping day. I love reaping day! I have always wished that I could be picked to go into the arena and bring District 1 and my family fame and fortune for the rest of my life. I could have volunteered but my mother never let me. Until now. She said that when I turned 17, I could volunteer to take the place of the reaped female.

I get dressed into my favourite white reaping dress and head out with my family to the town square. Our reaping is the first out of all the districts because, well… we are the best district out of them all.

Once we get to the town square, I sign in and stand with the other 17 year old girls.

"Hey Glimmer! You volunteering this year?" my best friend, Saphiria asks me.

"Hey Saph! I hope so." I reply. "But I bet loads of other girls will volunteer so I might not get it".

"Welcome everyone to the reaping of the 74th annual Hunger Games!" our escort, Anyanna says. "Girls first."

We all wait in silence. I hope it's me, or at least someone I can volunteer for.

"Glimmer Starr!"

It's me! Yay! I scream with excitement and try to walk calmly up the stage.

"Any volunteers?" Anyanna asks but none come forward because I think I have made it pretty clear that I want to be here. Good. That makes my life so much easier.

 "And now for the boys… Marvel Stone!"

Ewww. Not him. He like drools all over me because he thinks I'm so beautiful. I mean, flattering that he thinks that but he is so weird and anti-Hunger Games. He won't be happy he was reaped.

As I predicted, Marvel walks up to the stage with a look of disgust on his face. At least he has the decency to not say anything stupid. No one volunteers for him because we all know how much he hates the games. A lot of people hate him for it, I mean, how can someone hate the games!?

After the boring treaty of treason or whatever it is we walk back into the justice building and wait to say goodbye to our families.

As my mother and father walk in, my mother bursts into tears and I have to fight them back myself. I mumble some stuff about how I will be fine and give them both hugs before they are taken out.

"Wait!" my dad shouts. "Wear this. Please."

He hands me an emerald ring and I take it. It is beautiful.

"Twist it as soon as we are gone…" he whispers in my ear and walks out.

As soon as the door closes, I twist the ring and a deadly, poisoned spike appears. I have been asking for one of these for years! It will be so easy to kill all those stupid tributes from all the other districts. The only people I am really worried about are the girl and boy from 2. Marvel shouldn’t be any problem.

Next, Saph visits me just to give me a quick hug and wish me good luck then she leaves. She told me that apparently a whole load of boys from school wanted to see me but the peacekeepers said no. It's nice to know I am loved.

Saph is my last visitor so the peacekeepers escort me to the train station where I wave and smile for the cameras and my district and climb into the train.

The train is stunning. It is even more luxurious than my house! Which is saying something. I begin to envy the people who live in the Capitol, even though they dress so stupidly. I mean, who would wear that flower thing that the escort from 11 always wears! She looks like a walking pompom!

After dinner I go straight to bed. I need to sleep so that when I get to the Capitol and the arena, I am well rested and ready for anything.