Epilogue - As a Mutt

We leap out of a hole in the ground and chase him. He used to be my ally apparently but I don't care what he used to be. Now he is food. We run through the forest as a pack with me in the lead. All our tags with our district numbers jingle as we run. I reach the clearing where the cornucopia sits, the same as when I was alive in human form. The male who's name I can't remember runs past two others. I would never forget the girls name. Katniss. I hated her. Even better food for me!

I wave the others in as they have stopped behind me. Katniss and the other male run as fast as they can but the male is limping and Katniss pulls ahead. Just as Katniss reaches the tail of the cornucopia, she remembers him. Some team they are. Not. She shoots an arrow towards us all and one mutt is killed. Not sure who but there are plenty to take its place. He yells at her to climb so she does. When she reaches the top, Katniss prepares to shoot the male but she hears her partners yell as we get closer and closer.

"Climb!" she shouts at him so he does. Some others have pulled ahead of me and Katniss shoots her arrow down the throat of the first mutt to touch the metal. It lashes out and its companions are scratched. Serves them right for pulling ahead of me though I'm glad I'm not dead.

We sniff the metal and I tell everyone to back up. I'm going to try jump up. I take a running start and leap onto the horn. I stay for a bit before sliding back down. Katniss shrieks. She recognises me. She fights with the arrow for a moment before firing and I die in this games. For the second time.

I really must have been destined to die.