Chapter Twenty One

Nala

[Excuse any errors.]

There is nothing that can take the pain away.

But having him at my side everyday for the past month has been absolutely... enchanting.

He stayed with me after school everyday, unless he had to check on Mike who'd woken up a few days ago and was doing well so far. Although I wouldn't speak to him, he'd speak to me, joke with me, play music and sing (horribly might I add) for me. Just doing little things that meant a lot, ya know?

He didn't rush me into anything. He kept his distance at most, except for his goodbye kiss on the cheek when we part that I'd flinch away from at first, but have caught myself leaning towards lately.

Life is... not so bad with Jay by my side.

I'm no longer paranoid and sleep better at night. And to be honest, I felt like I was truly ready to get back to my old self again.

And for these reasons, I decided on this rainy Saturday morning to visit my best friend whom I'd been neglecting for a month too long.

So I got my shower, put on a burgundy oversized knit jersey with black jeans, russett Docs and a burgundy beanie with my weave parted at the middle, plus a satchel that matched my shoes. By the time I was done it was a lil past 11 so I decided to grab something to eat. Once in the kitchen, I settled on some mixed berry muesli and yoghurt before sitting at the island.

I heard my mom getting out of her room, and making her way to the kitchen. She came to a halt at the doorway, possibly because of me.

"Hi mom." I greeted, offering a tight smile.

"H-hiii..." she dragged on as she slowly made her way into the room, "Why you all dressed up?" she quizzed, standing in front of me now. I swallowed my food before answering her.

"I wanna go see Gabi. Maybe we'll go to the mall or something." I shrugged, shoving last spoon into my mouth.

"Baby, are you okay?" she asked, worry apparent on her face.

"Yes, I am. Why?"

"Well, one minute you wouldn't talk to anyone then the next you want go out to a public setting. I you sure you're not moving too-" I had to cut her off before she killed off what little courage I'd mustered to move on with my life.

"Momma, sorry but I'm fine. I just want visit my friend and enjoy myself. It's been a month now and I have to take these necessary steps for me to get back to my old self. " I explained. She looked at me for the longest before nodding her head in understanding.

"Okaay, if you insist. You want me to drop you off?" she offered.

"Yes please." I answered earning a smile from her which I mirrored. She nodded and then walked the room back to her bedroom. I got up, cleaned my bowl and went out front to wait on her. She came back a few minutes later and we were out.

I could already imagine how Gabi was goin to react when she saw me. I had estranged her for a month and she, like Jay, had tried relentlessly to guide me back to myself again. But in the end, I learnt that no matter how hard people try to make you safe and happy, it's up to you as a person how you'll channel that energy. Either you'll cower away from it, or finally, after much thought, embrace it.

We got to her house in no time and were now making our way to her door as mom also wanted to discuss some things with TaTa. I rang the bell and a few minutes later, TaTa came to the door.

"My girls, hi!" she greeted allowing us to come in. She'd cut her hair into a chic bob and looked much younger now. I almost mistaked her for Gabs there for a second.