Chapter IV

“The poachers have cut our video feed, and we lost nearly all our tech..” James said, whining. “I CAN’T WORK LIKE THIS!”

“Don’t forget- Will’s bedridden.” Corey added soberly, not realizing he was only rubbing salt in the wound.

Lucas groaned.

The boys sat on ground outside the tent, each doing their own thing, having a conversation without even looking at each other.

Crouched behind the tent, Noelle didn’t dare to breathe. The girls had gone on and on about the boys, and by the sound of it, Will was their leader. Why was he bedridden?

Someone groaned. “What are we going to do?” Noelle guessed that was the infamous- and cute Seth.

“And,” the blond boy added “there’s the matter of Will’s blood being taken by that creep.”

Hm, thought Noelle, from what I hear he looks like a male Lena. As far as hair and eye color go at least. That must be Corey. He was cute too.

The group went silent. For some reason, Noelle involuntarily shivered. She regretted it.

“What was that?” one of the boys snapped. Seth.

“Calm down, Seth.” said Corey, “You can’t just jump at everything because you blame yourself for what happened to Will.”

Noelle decided she’d heard enough. She started to back out but when she was about to vanish into the trees, the something inside the tent- Will- started to groan.

Crap! Noelle screamed mentally. She abandoned all caution and ran for the trees.

Corey saw something rustle in the underbrush out of the corner of his eye. He paused for a moment, titling his head slightly in concentration.

Probably just a rabbit, Corey dismissed. Besides he had other things on his mind.

~

Sweat glazed his forehead as he glanced anxiously into the darkening forest behind him.

“Oh, what is it now?” the woman said crossly.

Corona Vetinsky adjusted her glasses and started down mercilessly at the subordinate errand boy. Corona had the habit of wearing her glasses on the tip of her nose instead of bridge, like most respected people in organization DID. She claimed to have this habit for comfort reasons, but most believed that she left her glasses down so her killer glare wouldn’t be interrupted.

“I-5-“ the errand boy couldn’t meet the piercing gaze, even though he was a grown man and entrusted with a rifle, he couldn’t stand up to a tiny scientist. Not this one. He looked down shamefully.

Corona paused, but then snorted, “Well? Don’t just stand looking idiotic. People might mistake for more than a dimwit than you already are.”

“Er- um, Dr. B is here.” Corona raised an eyebrow.

“That’s certainly good news, but I don’t know how it applies to my branch of work. Get it to the correct branch and get out of my sight.” she snapped.

The errand boy fled.

~

“Welcome home, girls!” Noelle called cheerfully. Daisy and Lillian had slunk back to their new makeshift HQ with their tails between their legs.

“Wrong branch.” Lillian sighed, slipping into her sleeping bag.

“I love to say I told you so!” Sera smirked pointedly at Daisy. “I told you so!” she sang. Sera combed out her long hair as she got ready to set up to keep the first watch for the night.

“Shut up.” Daisy snapped. The strong girl’s fists were clenching and unclenching, she had to keep her temper. She’s couldn’t let newbies like Sera get to her.

“Girls, arguing is really stupid in this situation, there are enemy guards patrolling all these woods…” Noelle said nervously.

“What? I’m merely telling her that as usual, I was correct and she was not!” Sera answered.

“Fine. My feelings overwhelmed my logic. You’re right.” Daisy said, sighing.

“Oh, that’s okay my dear, it only happens to the most rash and irresponsible of us. Oh wait! That’s you.” Sera replied, enjoying her victory.

“Don’t push it, you know my talent is combat, right?” Her anger and pent-up feelings started to boil when she though they had been at a nice simmer. Soon, they would overflow and there’s no telling what would happen. “I could break your neck in the flick of my pinkie finger.”

Sera laughed. She noticed Daisy’s restrained rage. That wasn’t going to stop her from pushing all her buttons. To Sera, making Daisy snap was a game. “Remember my talent?” Sera pulled herself up into a nearby tree and looked down at Daisy. “Everything.”

“Why do you do this, you stupid brat?! Are you just trying to make this harder for everyone? Why do you have to be such a jerk?!”

Sera slid down from the tree and ran off into the night.

“Daisy-” Momo cut in.

“No! You shut up too! What? Am I the bad guy now?!”

Lillian stood up, shaking her head. “Really? Was that necessary, Daisy? You already know she hates it up here-”

“Yeah! She’s like.. a snake-” Momo started.

“Cold-blooded?” Daisy asked.

Momo ignored her, “She needs warmth, and the sun. She hates all this snow and yelling and dead ends.”

Lillian glared at Daisy. “Go find her.”

“I’ll got get her-”

“No.” Daisy sighed. “It’s my fault. I should be the one to go find her.”

And with that, Daisy raced into the woods, following Sera’s footprints in the snow.

“Well.” Lillian sighed.

“What now?” asked Noelle, organizing her weapons to avoiding looking into everyone else's eyes.

“We wait.” Momo said, starting a light flickering fire. “We wait.”