Chapter VII

If something doesn't make sense, just bear with me, i'm constantly editing.

________________________________

Seth’s mouth tasted foul. He spit out snake venom for the millionth time, hoping he wouldn’t die horribly because he let some of the venom slip down his throat. James, Corey, and Lucas all watched, hypnotized. Seth paid them no attention. One more for now, Seth thought to himself, trying to drain every drop of the infected blood, and then spit bitterly into the bowl beside the bed.

Lucas, being Lucas knew immediately what Seth need and silently handed a water bottle. Seth took a big gulp- and then spat it out again. He’d been doing this for a while… and the girl still hadn’t moved.

After a tense silence, James who didn’t have a heart for gore spoke up.

“W-will she- you know-”

“She’ll be okay.” Seth finished. Even when he was facing away from his comrades, Seth could picture the relief on their faces. “There’s just one thing… Where’s that idiot Will?”

~

Lillian spun around at the sound of Will’s voice. Grabbing a large stick she aimed it at Will’s head. He caught it.

“Don’t be so brash.” he cooed.

“I’ve only just come to talk.”

“Well, we have nothing to say-” Lillian began.

“Is Sera okay?” Momo broke in desperately.

“Who?” Will paused to think as if he had more interesting thing to do that look over a dying girl.

“Oh her. In a better place now.”

“She isn’t…” Daisy’s voice broke. Will smirked. “She’s alive. But I’ve come with a proposition.”

Glancing at Lillian, who was flourishing her makeshift club in annoyance, he smiled sweetly. “I think...” He said glancing at the ground. “We should work together.”

~

Pain seared through her. Sera whimpered as it coiled around her organs, restricting her breathing. Barely able to breather, she screamed. Through the stifling darkness and pain, everything was muffled on the surface. Like swimming through oil. Every blood-curdling scream, the tossing and turning, the fierce clawing. Causing only a ripple of life on the outside. A scream was a whimper. Kicking was just a twitch. The poison was mutating her genes. The constraining snake was smothering her head now. A pounding migraine resonated pure agony. Suddenly the pain stopped/ t as gone. Nothing stirred. Her body felt strangely empty. Her eyes opened.

A sea of brown greeted Sera’s eyes.

Wait –no. That was someone else’s eye. Why was her vision so magnified? She blinked.

A boy with spiky hair settled back in a chair, relieved. “Thank God you’re awake. I was starting to worry- Not to be creepy or anything! But if it was me… I would want someone to be there.”

Sera wanted to agree, nod, twitch a finger, do something!

She blinked.

“I’m Seth.” Seth said. I know. I slapped you remember? “Let me know if you need anything.”

Well that’s kind of hard to do, Sera thought bitterly to herself. I can’t believe this would happen to me.

Sera blinked.

~

It was dark, but she could see. Everything was out lined in light, not shadow. Like night vision. She sat up and stretched, she was on an operating table, a thin layer of paper separating her from cold metal.

There was a slight pain in her arm, she winced slightly. She thought back on the conversation she had had with Sera about the exhaust from the vents and put the pieces together. She was a science experiment.

Lena picked up a tray of sharp tools, knocking them all to the ground. She looked at herself on its shiny surface.

Her pupils were slits.

Feline genes. I should act scared, even though I know I have an advantage now. The mutations will hurt as they come.

Carefully, Lena stepped off the exam table, holding her arms in front of her like an average human in a pitch black room. Doors slid open revealing a picturesque scene of a rainforest. The humidity and heat hit her like and avalanche but was a welcome change with Lena’s new mutations.

A mature feminine voice pierced her sensitive ears, playing so loudly the words sounded like they were coming from next to her, but they sounded far away.

“Come play with me, my kitten.”

Lena dropped on her hands and knees and bounded through the doors, becoming the first guinea pig of a project that could save the world- or destroy all human life.