Chapter 4: Dresses and poolside drama

“Suck in deeper Crystal.”  I hold my dress as the three foot tall Asian lady zips up the light orange dress.

“I can’t Jennifer if you haven’t noticed I’m skinny as it is I don’t need you pushing me to fit something smaller than a zero it’s outrageous! Plus, this color is absolutely atrocious.  I don’t know if you’ve noticed but nothing looks good on me that is too bright.”  I exhale and part of the seam rips.  I hear the lady gasp and tell her that my mother and father can pay for it with no problem.  She starts speaking in some unearthly manner and storms off to the back to find me another dress that isn’t as hideous or small as this one.

“Why are you acting like this?  You used to love shopping.”   Jennifer sits down and crosses her legs staring straight at me.

“This isn’t me Jennifer.  I don’t like this, and I never did… Well maybe I used to, but that was the past and this is the present.”

“Crystal Faith Evans you are gorgeous do you understand?  You have all this money and parents that love spoiling you, yet you don’t take any of it. You could be modeling with the top agencies around the world and become famous in a heartbeat.  Who am I kidding?  You’re already famous from your parents but you could make it on your own if you tried.  You’re perfect height; you have a perfect complexion that any girl your age would die for.  Don’t get me wrong, I want you to be yourself but sometimes, you need to sacrifice being yourself for other people.”  She starts to get a tad red and walks towards the door.

“I’m sorry Jennifer it’s just not me.  I don’t like dressing like this and I definitely don’t like acting like those girls in the magazines and labeling myself as my mom’s daughter okay?”  I feel like I let everyone down with everything that happens outside of school.  I know my parents are happy that I’m succeeding the way that I am but sometimes, I just wish that I could be that model, prada wearing daughter just like my mom wants me to be.  But we can’t always have what we want, which is really surprising because with my family, anything is possible.  I just wish that the kid me would’ve followed me into young adulthood so I could be as girly as I used to be.  

“Here… Other dress… You try now.  Very beautiful” I laugh when she says beautiful because her accent comes out a little bit thick.  But I don’t mind because I adore her accent.  The lady has brought me out a slightly bigger dress in a peach color that is to die for.  I don’t like the idea of shopping, but when I find something I like, a whole other side of me comes out.

I try on the dress and to my surprise it fits beautifully and flows better than I imagined.  I hug the worker and she starts laughing and dancing along with me.  It was really fun until Jennifer walked back into the store and just stared at me.  Her eyes were searing through my soul.  I honestly couldn’t take it anymore.  “WHAT?”  I scream a tad too loud.

“Nothing, you just look stunning in that dress baby doll.”  I blush at her words.  It really means a lot that she thinks I’m so pretty.  Sometimes, I wonder if Jennifer gets compliments.  She’s stunning but I never really heard anyone compliment her before besides my mom.  One thing I know for sure is that she gives out more compliments than she receives.  When I was younger my mother told me that it was a bad thing to compliment people more than they complement you.  As I grew older, I realized that it’s just a nice gesture and that you shouldn’t worry about how many compliments give away as long as you’re making the person happy.

“Thank you Jenn.”  I smile at her clasping my hands together feeling like the old me for a second.  But then it comes back to me, the old me comes back when Jennifer asks me to snap a pic and send it to my dearest mother.  I don’t want to be rude and say no so I let her take a picture of me and in no time my mom sends back the sweetest reply. ‘She looks gorgeous, I knew you could do it. –love mom’