Chapter 5: No Dates

For the couple of days, for some reason even though he repulses me I can’t help but stare out of my window and look at Jason working in the yard whenever I can.  He works really hard and I’m really glad to say that my parents are deciding to give him a raise.  To be honest and frank with you, I was the one that put it into their heads that Jason has been working hard, I feel kind of bad for him.  He’s living in one of the richest areas of the country and yet he’s the only kid working in the estates. 

“So do you have a date to the ball yet?”  Mekenna keeps bothering me on the subject so I just wave it off.

“Did you do this problem?”  She rolls her eyes and pushes me off of my bed.

“Chrys come on, why don’t you see if Jason wants to go with you?” 

“Are you kidding?  That’s probably the most horrid, outrageous idea I have ever heard in my life and I can’t believe you out of all people would bring something like that up.”  She helps me back up and continues to sigh about the situation.

“Just ask him who he’s going with Chrys, he’s down stairs and out the door it’s not that hard.”  Mekenna knows about him working here because she’s always at my house and this may seem surprising, but I can actually trust her.

“Stop bothering me about it.”

“Not until you ask.”  Before she can say anything else, I open up my window shouting hoping to get Jason’s attention.

“JASON!”  He looks up and me waves. “Hey do you have a date to the ball thing um on Saturday?” 

“I think I’m going with Ferrah.  Why?” 

“Oh cause that’s what everyone else was say oh cool yeah bye.”  I slam my window shut and that’s all I needed to get bright red in the face.  “Thanks for making me do that, I’m so embarrassed right now.”  Kenna starts laughing so hard that she has to clench her stomach.  I don’t even know why we’re friends anymore.

For the rest of the night all I can think about is how stupid it was of me to ask him something like that.  I’m scared of what he might ask or say to me at school tomorrow that is if he talks to me.  After lying in bed staring at the clock and empty walls for so long I doze off for what seems to be half an hour.  The cards were in my favor last night because when I woke up I found out that I slept about eight hours which is more than enough for a junior in high school.   

“No Elisabeth, I don’t care if she wants pearls on that dress or not it’s not happening.  This is my design, my company, my dress.  I am not changing it for her, if she wants a custom made dress she can put through a request.  All I’m concerned about is that she gets to the photo shoot in time.”  My mom looks at me and points to Fizza our chef to put some pancakes on the plate in front of me.  “My princess is awake, I don’t have time for this.  I’ll talk to you later good day.”  She takes a deep breath of air before redirecting her attention to me.

“How was your trip mom?”  I ask with slight curiosity.  Don’t get me wrong, I really do want to be interested in this whole fashion stuff but I really can’t wrap my mind around the idea.

“It was fantastic, but I missed you and your father dearly.  I got you these heels from Dolce while I was there and they are to die for.  I thought they’d look great with that dress you picked out.”  Okay, so let me tell you for all of you that think being an only child is perfect.  No it’s not, I wish I had a brother or sister every once and awhile so my mom can direct her attention to them instead of giving me all of hers. 

“Thanks mom.”  I say and jump off my chair jetting towards the door before she asks any further questions.

“Do you have a date yet?”  The question that I was dreading all along.

“No, I have to get to school, love you mom I’ll see you later.”  I slam the door behind me before she can continue running her mouth.

When I get to first period I notice that Ferrah isn’t here today, this is probably the best thing that has happened to me all morning.  Jason walks into the door and smiles at me.

“Hey I haven’t gotten the chance to thank you again for not saying anything to anyone.”  He gives me his award winning grin and I just can’t help but smile too.

“No problem, it really doesn’t mean anything to me that you’re working for my family anyways.”  The grin leaves his face for a second.

“Well, I think it’s pretty cool that you don’t care considering you look out your window at me all the time.”  I’m totally caught off guard and my face starts getting red hot I can tell that I’m blushing.  “Don’t worry, it’s not like I can tell anyone.”  He says smiling at me.  My hatred for him has just grown stronger.  I don’t know what to say so I just laugh and push him.  “Don’t get flirty with me now, Ferrah might find out.”  He winks at me and pushes me back.

Oh god, no this is not okay I can’t be falling for him.  Nope that’s not okay, this can’t be happening. “Yeah you’re hilarious.”  I turn back to the worksheet that was just passed back to us and jot down all the information that was on the smartboard. 

“You’re really cute you know that?”  His attention is directed right towards me as I look up from my paper.  I want to smile and say thank you but I just look back down at my paper.  “Just say thank you and take the compliment, it’s all you have to do.” 

“Thanks.  Is that good enough for you?”  As the bell rings I bolt right out of the classroom as fast as I can.  I’ve been trying to avoid everyone lately it’s hard to speak to people when I have nothing to say so it’s better just to stay out of everyone’s way and for them to stay out of mine. 

At the end of the day, I ignore Alex and Mekenna and leave.  I just don’t want them to ask me about the ball and a date again.  If I don’t have one it’s fine right?  Have they ever thought that maybe I just don’t want one?  But they know me enough to know that I do want a date.  I want one, but the one that I want is already taken.