Chapter Three

Madison's POV

When I woke up the next day, the first thought I had was 'Jackson was right about me not being able to stay awake through a movie.' ​

When I opened my eyes, the first thing I saw was Jackson's bare chest. It wasn't the first time I had seen him without a shirt, but his muscular body was so close to mine. I wanted to reach out & run my fingers down his chest. My cheeks reddened at the thought. I looked up at his face, & he was fast asleep. I smiled at how peaceful he looked.

I really needed to use the bathroom, so I tried to roll over so I could get up, but his arm was wrapped tightly around me. I tried to scoot out from under his arm, but that seemed impossible also. Even in his sleep, he was much stronger than me.

I finally decided to quit fighting with his arm, & I cuddled up to him instead, putting my head on his chest. He was so warm. I smiled to myself. I secretly loved being wrapped up in his arms.

Then I remembered last night. I groaned. I had had another nightmare. I was so used to getting them, but I hated when Jackson was around when I had them. I mean, I was glad he was around when it happened. He made me feel completely safe. But, I hated for him to see me like that. It was horribly embarrassing.

I hated him knowing that I was still being bothered by events that happened years ago. He had told me many times that he didn't blame me for not being over it, but I still felt horrible about it.

He started moving then, & he pulled me tighter against him. I started laughing.

"Good morning." he said, opening his eyes.

"Morning. How did you sleep?"

"I slept just fine."

"You mean, after you were done dealing with me & my bothersome nightmare?"

He chuckled. "Yes, exactly."

"Jerk!" I laughed.

He laughed with me, & then pulled me up closer against him. That's when I realized how close our faces were. His lips were only a few inches from mine. I wanted to just lean in & kiss him. Could I do that? Would he be okay with that?

I​ looked up in his eyes, & it looked like he was thinking the same exact thing. I felt breathless at that thought. He started to lean closer, & my heart started racing. I'm seriously about to kiss Jackson. I closed my eyes.

But, just before his lips touched mine, my phone vibrated on my night stand, & we both jumped from the sudden loudness. I clutched at my chest. My heart felt like it was about to jump out of my chest. We looked at each other, & we both started laughing.

"Your damn phone almost gave me a heart attack."

I laughed. "Same here."

I picked up my phone, wondering who would be texting me this early, or at all, really. Jackson was usually the only person to text me.

"Who is it?" he asked me.

"It says unknown number. That's weird. Let me see what the message says." I opened the message, & I froze when I read it.

"What does it say?" I heard Jackson ask.

I couldn't answer him. I couldn't do anything but stare at the message.

"Madison. What does it say?"

I finally looked up at him. He looked at me questioningly.

"I-It says.." I couldn't finish what I was trying to say.

"Let me see it." he said, taking my phone from me.

I knew he had read it when I saw anger flash across his face. He swore, & got off the bed. He started pacing, running a hand through his hair. He pulled out his phone, & started quickly texting someone. After he put his phone away, he was still pacing. The back & forth motion started to make me feel nauseous. I stood up & grabbed his arm.

"Stop pacing. You're going to burn a hole in my carpet." I tried joking with him to calm him down. It didn't work.

"I texted my brother. Maybe he can trace where the text came from. He's usually good with that kind of stuff."

"Which brother? Maybe it's just a prank or something." I said.

"Kolt. Dominic wouldn't know how to do that stuff. & That'd be a pretty sick prank, Madison."

"I know.." I sat down again, putting my head in my hands. "It's just.. Today is going to be hard enough. I really don't need another problem to deal with."

He sat down beside me, & put his arm around my shoulders. "I know. I'm so sorry. Let's go to my place, & see if my brother can find anything. Okay?"

I nodded. I wrapped my arms around his waist, & laid my head on his chest. "Thanks for being here today, Jackson. I wouldn't be able to get through this day without you."

"I'll be here every day." he kissed me on my head. "Get dressed."

He got up & walked to the bathroom, closing the door behind him. I quickly threw on some jeans & a t-shirt while he was in there. I was also trying not to look at my phone again. I didn't want to see that text again. But, my nerves finally got to me, & I picked up my phone, & looked at the text again.

I refused to believe this meant anything. I wanted to just believe it was just a joke. That would be the easiest thing to do right now. I couldn't deal with it being anything more than that. I read it once more before Jackson came out of the bathroom & said "Let's go."

Unknown Number: Good morning, Madison. I hope you slept well last night. Today is a big day, isn't it? Three years. Three years too long, in my opinion. I just wanted to tell you that I hope you have a splendid day today. I'll be seeing you soon. That's a promise, sweetheart.