Last Free Day

After my alarming dream, I woke up around 7 am and was ready to take on the day. Tomorrow was a day I would never forget, good or bad, I could feel it in my core. Princess started to stir beside me from my frantic bursts of movements so I gently rolled off the bed, just to be sure I would not wake her. I glanced back and then tip toed to my closest. My closest has a mahogany door frame to blend with the white and yellow of my room plus it has a brass handle. I opened the  closest to pick out some basic day time clothes, ones that would make me look good but not stand out in the crowd. Finally, after shifting through different outfits, I decided on a pale orange v-neck and some black shiny shorts with flip flops. Now just to get my face ready! I then walked over to my mirror and sought out the time, it was already 9 o'clock! I didn't realize that I had spent nearly two hours sorting through clothes. It also dawned on me in that moment that I have no clothes fit for school. Not only do I have to get school supplies but I also need to buy clothes too. 

When I finally made it down the steps and into the kitchen, I found my mother still home. As shocked as I was, I was also excited to see her. 

"Good morning" , I said in the sweetest voice I could utter. I looked her way and smiled as big as the moon. After a couple minutes of silence, she dragged her gaze to meet mine. Her eyes were as dark as the night but somehow you could see the light still dimly emerging from her depths.  In what seemed like centuries, the light reappeared and she warmly greeted me. 

"Good morning G! I feel like it has been ages since I've seen you. How has summer really been for you?" She seemed genuinely excited and interested in me, so I told her everything I had done that summer. I told her about all of the books I've read and what characters were my favorite. I told her all the things I had learned, that was until she asked the worst question on this earth. It was so dumb and hit me deep. It was one of those questions that make you want to well up and cry or punch the person who asked it. A mixture of emotion flooded around my brain and then clouded my eyes instantly when she asked that dreaded question. She stared straight into my soul and I bet she knew the answer before she asked it. 

"Did you make any friends this summer?" 

My heart stopped, of course not. I spent all my time in the library and didn't care about people. I was leaving in a year for college and didn't need to be tied down. I was running all these excuses in my head but I just blatantly said no. She looked so disappointed in me and merely shook her head. 

"G , I told you that you need to get out there. " She ran her fingers through her hair in a tired way and sighed.  " Promise me you will try this year to make friends. I know last year was rough but you need to try" Her eyes pleaded me in a way I could not refuse. I falsely promised and then told her my plans for the day. She approved and gave me some money for the things I needed.  I then proceeded to make a list: pencils, paper, pens, calculator, scissors, highlights, graph paper, and clothes. I headed out, ready to take on the world , one step at a time. Off to town I go. 

The walk into to market place was bittersweet. It was a lovely day with the crisp warm air swirling around like a warm embrace. The trees had the sun shining through them and created an effect on the leaves to give them a twinkling sensation. When I finally reached the marketplace, I headed straight for Sassy Cassi's. She had cute clothes I would wear for school tomorrow and why not buy focal? 

"Hey Guinevere! What can I getcha?", exclaimed Cassi as I entered the door. She enthusiastically hooked my arm and led me to a rack. She then showed me an outfit which was a dress with a pale green base and a silver belt that hugged the torso. 

" I love it Cassi!" , I picked up the dress gingerly and held it against me, " How much?" I saw the price tag earlier and it was pricey, the kind of price that makes you faint a little. She took it in her hands and held it against me. Something in her eyes shined, I couldn't tell if she was proud of her work or sad that I wanted the dress. I personally think she wanted it for herself. 

"It's $45, half off for you my dear. " I was so shocked, half off for someone she didn't know.   I was forever grateful and told her I planned to wear it tomorrow. She shrieked with joy. 

" You will look SO pretty in this tomorrow! Are you excited for your first day at Oakway? " Her eyes were filled with wonder and questions for me to answer. I blushed at her compliment and merely said yes for being excited about school. In all honesty, I was not excited at all for school. School is a place filled with judgement, rude people, weird smells and disappointment. I am naturally a good student just not a people person. As I told Cassi all these things, she looked like one of those happy sad people. I don't know how to describe the emotion flickering across her face, it made me think about school a little more.  We continued talking about school and other things. I told her what I needed to get for my basic classes and she recommended me to Mr. Patrick.   

Mr. Patrick is an old, short man who owns the store across from Sassy Cassi's. His store is just a basic office supply store where you can find all your essential needs for school or work. The store is very clean and pristine white. He has grey shelves lining the walls and in rows filled with supplies. 

"Missy, you finding everything alright?", he looked at me with a lazy eye and a scratchy voice.

"Yes Sir", I politely responded. His old man smell entered my nose and reminded me of my grandpa. It was weirdly comforting and smelled so bad at the same time. He grunted and went back to his service desk. He watched me for a bit, I was trying to find my way around the store. I found all my school stuff after wandering for 30 minutes. 

"Ya find everything alright Missy?", he took my stuff and scanned each one. 

"Yes Sir. You have a lovely store.", I said politely and pulled out my money to pay him. 

"Thank you Missy. Say that'll be $10.40" He took my money and gave me back the change. His wrinkly hands packed my stuff into a plastic bag and gave it to me. 

"Thank you Sir! Have a wonderful evening" 

" You too Missy", he said with a smile. I smiled back and turned to head out the door of Mr. Patrick's store when I ran into the one and only Xander. 

"Woah there Vere, careful on your way out. People tend to run into the handsome janitor here." He laughed and I put the two together. Xander works for Mr. Patrick in his shop. I looked over at him and saw his casual work clothes, combed hair and pretty eyes. 

"I heard he sweeps young girls off their feet.", I said in reply. He laughed harder, like it hurt him inside.

" So the new girl is funny, I like it." His smile projected across his face and he reached out to ruffle my hair. I quickly shut my mouth and backed away. 

"Sorry I didn't mean to... I didn't want to... sorry...", he shuffled away from the door to let me out. I looked at him once again and then quickly walked out. I kept my head down and hugged my purchase to my chest. I was just out of earshot when I heard ,

"See ya tomorrow Verie" 

I will not see him tomorrow and I will not be called "Verie".