♪ ρ я σ ℓ σ g υ ε ♪

♩ Rami ♩

Snow swirled across the frozen land, its icy tendrils ensnaring anything that came near. Glistening icicles clung to the branches of a large oak tree, the only thing standing among the flurries of white. Large, twisted branches reached for the cloudy sky, immune to the battering of the wind and hail.

Atop the gnarled roots coated with layers of white, a small girl lay shivering in the cold. Black hair billowed out, forming a messy halo around her head. She was clothed in a thin green tee-shirt and denim shorts, the icy blizzard eating away at her pale skin. Vacant blue eyes stared up at the sky as blood slowly oozed its way out from beneath her little body.

Come, daughter... Return to the ones who first claimed you.

The words were but a whisper of a voice in the young girl's broken mind. A whispy sigh bled through her lips as she processed the words. Yes, she'd always known this day was coming and had always dreaded it. But it was hopeless to wish for a different ending, and wonder about the what if's.

She was theirs and always would be.

As her mind started to slip farther and farther away, she stared numbly at the blurry figures that were rapidly appearing on all sides. They stood tall with their heads high, unaffected by the harsh winds as they watched her through expectant eyes.

Their presence was both sickening and comforting. She wanted to scream, to yell at them to help her. To plead for her life, to shout in their faces that she didn't want to die. But all she could do was gaze back at those gazes of browns and blues, greens and yellows. Wondering just why it had to be her.

They stayed with her as her life faded, watching and waiting. With every slow shudder that racked her body, and every fading pulse of her heart, she felt their excitement grow. They'd waited for her a long sixteen years, and now she was finally theirs again. And she always would be.

As a final shudder slid down her small frame, the girl uttered a single cough. With that cough came a splatter of blood, and her heart gave its last pulse before stopping completely. Blue eyes dulled as the girl grew still, one thought etched into her mind.

Why did she have to die?