Chapter 1

The simple fact was that her dad had decided she reminded him to much of her mother. So much that he just couldn't keep her. A lousy excuse if you ask me. She could hear him late at night on the phone talking about her. Saying how he had an 11 year old daughter who had become too much of a hassle.

I personally don't like the word hassle. Nothing can be that irritating that it suddenly becomes a "hassle". Who would've thought that a parent could give their child up because they looked too much like someone they missed greatly.

She was so young. She knew she was going to die. Not because I told her but because she could feel it. I don't know how but she could.

But anyway back to the story, Gemma's dad found a family that was willing to take her. He didn't even tell her goodbye, she seemed fine with it but I knew better. When she arrived at her new home she refused to get out of the car. They tried for over 2 hours until they finally gave up. She slept in the car that night.

She woke up fully expecting to be in the car but instead she woke up under a warm blanket, there was a distinct smell of bacon and eggs coming from the kitchen.

"Oh good your awake," a deep yet soft voice replies from the corner of the room. "Are you hungry?"

Gemma doesn't say anything instead she continues to watch with interest as her new dad puts clothes up in her closet.

"Not much of a talker are you?" James  Hartsfield, her new dad, asks chuckling.

"Why am in here? Why am I not in the car?"

He turned around with a confused look now on his face,"Well it was cold so when you fell asleep I brought you in."

"I liked it better in the car," she said.

"And why is that?" he asks not flinching at her harsh words.

She looks around for a moment before her eyes land on him again,"This place reminds me of hell."

And that's how she became Mr. Hartsfield favorite child and Mrs. Hartsfield least favorite child. Despite Mr. Hartsfield being much taller and much larger than his wife, Gemma was more scared of her. Mrs. Hartsfield reminded her of her father, not in the sense that she would ever get rid of her but just in the way she walked around the house, the attitude she carried with her.

She didn't leave the bedroom until Mrs. Hartsfield insisted she eat something and take a shower. And of course she did it without saying a word.

About 2 weeks later Mrs. Hartsfield insisted she go to school despite the fact she still hadn't said much. I'm sure if she'd known that going to school would help her find out her secret, a secret that would eventually save her life, she wouldn't have put up such a big fight. And when I say big fight I mean big fight.

She was 16 and about 100 pounds but she never gave up. She was determined to get her way, which of course she didn't which later she was thankful for. Of course she wasn't at the time, but soon enough she would be.

She just didn't know it at the time.

--------
I hope you enjoy this chapter! I will (hopefully) be updating soon!!!

Stay beautiful, Stay weird, Stay amazing,
~Annalise