||prologue||

sarah stephens as virginia!

P r o l o g u e

I watched Gabriel Thomas down another shot, his face scrunched up to form the usual expression we all have after taking our first shot. I leaned over the kitchen counter, not minding the couple that was vigorously making out on the floor next to me as if their lives depended on it. Raising the bottle of Jack up to my lips, I took another swig of the almost empty bottle that was being loosely held in my sweaty palms, drinking every last drop of alcohol from the bottle. I got onto my feet, losing support from the kitchen counter that was littered with alcohol bottles and empty red cups. Stumbling slightly, I randomly handed the empty bottle of Jack to a stranger that happened to walk by me.

I was clearly drunk but unfortunately not drunk enough to lose focus on the task at hand.

I slowly sauntered my way across the room, my ears deafened by the loud, obnoxious pounding music playing and my eyes focusing on nothing else but Gabriel. I was pretty positive that I even stepped on someone else's puke while trying to keep Gabriel in my line of vision. I scrunched my nose up at that thought, realizing that I'd probably have to wash it off by myself and that getting rid of the horrendous smell of alcohol and bile was going to be almost impossible.

Whatever, these shoes were getting old anyway. I'll probably just throw them out or lose them in the process of seducing Gabriel, my next target, which also happened to be my second last target.

It's been six months since my ex-boyfriend, Chase Winfrey, cheated on me with Savannah, my ex-best friend. Yes, it sounds ultra complicated and ridiculous, and all too dramatic. But even right now, six months after the whole incident, I was unable to move on.

I was unable to believe that my boyfriend whom I loved and still love, so, so much and was naive enough to think that he loved me back twice as much as I loved him, had cheated on me with my best friend who had stuck by me ever since the beginning of this hellhole we all called high school.

Life back then was blissful, full of ignorance and innocence. I pretended that having my mom work as a stripper didn't affect me, knowing my father had left me for another family didn't bother me and that my life was absolutely perfect.

Perfect, as long as I had Chase and Savannah by my side. As long as I could shop as much as I want with the money my mother gave me every month. As long as I knew that even though my world wasn't so pleasant, I had two people in the world who loved me and would do anything for me.

What a naive little bitch I was.

Whoever said that it was better to be slapped with the truth than kissed with a lie was ridiculously wrong. So, so wrong.

There is still a huge part of me that wished I hadn't gone to the party at the Forbes' six months ago.

There is still a huge part of me that wished I had never walked into the third bedroom down the hall on the second floor of the Forbes' house.

There is still a huge part of me that wished that even if I had walked into the bedroom, I had pretended that I didn't see anything, that I hadn't seen my lovely boyfriend fucking the brains out of my amazing best friend.

Because, I would rather be showered with a million lying kisses than slapped even once with a truth as harsh as knowing you're all alone in the world, with nobody to love you.

Maybe I was a coward, or maybe I was just young and naive, but I was afraid of being alone in this world. So afraid that I was willing to look past the fact that my boyfriend had been cheating on me with my best friend.