Chapter 10: Part 2

Part 2: The War (II)

Five Days Prior

For the past two days I've been busy beyond imagination. I know Auntie and Uncle are probably worried about me, but it is for the best that I do not return home. I don't want them pulled into this.

So far our brigades have been holding fast. Not a single breathing being from our gang has died. Some have been injured, but nothing severe.

Every single person in the Eighth Brigade continues to show me just how strong they are. They really are amazing.

Each day after our turn fighting we return to the building together and sit around our room, just talking and laughing.

It's scary against the Mobsters. They have weapons that put up a fair fight against our own attributes, but thanks to the early start we got we are winning.

It seems as if they are too busy trying to gather themselves to actually make a critical attack.

"So, three years ago Gombei and I were like twelve you know?" Gehei was telling one of his now favored "Gombei and I" stories. We had heard probably five in the two days spent together.

Nori was still staying with us, and (as Yae predicted) he was fitting in perfectly fine, no matter the fact that he was human.

Even so, I feel like he resented us. I couldn't shake that very feeling as I stated him down across the room. Hiroe stood beside me, listening intently to Gohei's story.

Even she acted like a child around all the others.

I turned my gaze from Nori and started to pay attention to Gehei's story.

"— so he opens this girl's locker for her and all these papers fall out. They were all drawings of him with hearts and stuff! Of course, Gombei being Gombei, he just picks up the papers and stacks them up before handing them back to the girl. At this point this poor girl is bright red and almost faints on him. It was the funniest thing ever!"

Gombei rubbed the back of his neck, a soft pink dusting his cheeks as all those around laughed and joked around, teasing the poor male.

I closed my eyes and leaned my head against the wall, smiling softly as I did.

Three Days Prior

We were on our fifth mission. This time we were heading East to try and take over the Industrial part of the City. We were heading out with the Fourth Brigade, aka Michi's group.

All clad in black we snuck towards one of the buildings turned into a Mobster base.

"Are you all ready?" Michi asked in a low voice. We just nodded, too nervous to say anything. As the days had dragged on the more crucial everything started to become. One loss could overturn the whole War.

"Alright then.." Michi stomped down on a pane of glass in the ceiling, successfully busting through. We followed his lead, dropping into the factory.

Oddly enough, the place was empty causing us to all look around in confusion.

"What's going on?" Yae mumbled from my side, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

No one had anytime to prepare themselves for the blast, it was all over with one loud BOOM!

I couldn't process much after that. My ears were ringing as I found myself crumpled against a wall.

My heartbeat was a slow drum in my chest as I swallowed hard. It started to pick up again until the ringing was gone, being replaced by shouts and yells from my comrades.