Part One- four

I stare out my apartment window with my cigarette in hand. Beautiful uptown New York City. I watch the little figures down below rush around, and cars zoom by everywhere.

I am still thinking about what the boss said to me last night.

I thought it was my last job, but it seems like fate does not want to let go of me.

He called me back. Said the old team would be getting back together very soon- or rather- we were going to form a new team, and he wanted me in.

I stub my cigarette out, and turn on the TV. Still wearing those clothes from last night. I even had to clean my phone for several seconds- the sidewalk was pretty wet and contaminated my phone.

You know, I have no idea if I really want to go back or not. I was already planning on going to retire, starting from today. Instead I’m stuck still here thinking. This is so stupid.

I don’t even know what’s on TV but I shut it off. I walk to my kitchen cabinet and pull out a bunch of cigarette packets. I carry my duffel bag and look back at my messy apartment. Coffee mugs here, cigarettes there, papers spread all over.

Whatever. I’m leaving.

It reminds me of how he left- with only his cigarettes and orange-tint sunglasses.

Passing through security easily, I was on the plane within an hour.

Goodbye New York- Ditching you for LA.

I tune out- listening to Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep” on repeat like a weird person for the sixteen hour flight.

I arrive at LAX with only one address. I hail a cab. Easiest way to get one? Trust me, if you have a phone handy, it’s much better than having to wave your hand like a lost person.

I give the Spanish driver the slip of paper, and he drives off right away.

I still have that song on. Although, I still haven’t memorized the lyrics yet. I switch it and tune out once more. LA’s not as interesting as it used to be.

“Miss, the fee.” I awake to the driver’s voice, and instantly grab a bunch of bills out of my inner jacket pocket, heading out the car before he could even get out change.

The first thing I saw was one of those Chinese good luck cats waving its arms at me through the window.

I couldn’t read the words above the door, but I could tell that it was in Chinese. I walked towards the seemingly small building, and pull the door open.

Inside, an old man appeared. The place was full of weird smells- it was an herbal medicine shop. Pots full of weird looking plums, enlarged in size, all over- bottles behind the counter- countless boxes around the interior of the shop. I felt as if I were in a foreign world.

The man mumbles something in Chinese to me, and I respond with the code.

He points towards the floor.

What?

He points again, and I suddenly catch a glimpse of a movable floorboard. I lift it up, and before I disappear, I utter the only limited Chinese I know: Xie Xie.

I could hear the old man laugh as I made my way down a ladder.

I land on soft carpet, which I saw as very odd. Never had a meeting been on carpet before.

I look forward and see a glass room, filled with men and several women, all in black.

Just like the good old times.

But I don’t smile as I walk in and have boss pat me on the back. There were some that I recognized, and some new crews that I hadn’t noticed before.

Crew 3 wasn’t here.

Not that I was going to lift up my hopes either- there was no one from mines as well.

“Hey! Hey! Guess who showed up just in time! It’s great to have you back, Nikka.”

His cool voice sounds through the room, and that’s when I realize, I actually did not recognize anyone in the room.

Click. Click.

No one.

Except for boss, who was smiling at me as if we had been best friends yesterday.

Narrowing my eyes, I asked him, “What’s with the new recruits?”

He looked at me as if I were from a new planet.

He loosened his tie and whispered to me in a low tone, “I’ll talk to you after.”

Without another word, I grab an empty seat and sit in on the meeting. I notice several other open spots.

I got to sit next to the boss during the whole 3 hr meeting- it felt like some kind of privilege, but not really.

I thought I would get the chance to snooze, but they passed around papers of their application to apply to the firm, and I studied them closely.

Some were too overboard. I found several that were too perfect. I eyed each and every person.

Some one was a traitor. I could already see that most of them were here for the popularity, not the job.

My observations were stopped when the boss finally said, “And without further ado, I’d like to introduce to you our very special agent, Abigail.”

Abigail. Seriously. Come on. I rolled my eyes at the boss. What a great fake name to come up with. I stood up and walked slowly around the room, not saying anything.

Giving each of them a nice, long look.

I then began slowly, “I’m Abigail,” I shot a dirty look at the boss, who waved his hands subtly.

“I want you all to know that in this society, we do not follow the rules. We do not think of the rules, we only follow what boss says, got that?”

Several heads bobbed up and down. I continued on my slow journey.

I’ve eliminated several people. It was down to five.

“When we attack- we attack with full force. We do not hesitate. We kill.”

I let the words linger for a while.

“And we kill the right person, not a phony. We get their bosses. We are stealthy, we are not to be heard. We disappear out of their sights, forever and always.”

Two.

“And whoever betrays this society will die in vain. It is so because… after all, we are the underhand.”

Two dualistic people.

I held my arms out in welcome.

“Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Black Crypt.”