Ch. 3

From that day, I studied natural philosophy and chemistry tirelessly. In M. Waldmen I found a true friend, it was this, perhaps that helped me to lean towards his subject of chemistry even more. I found the more I studied, the more I wanted to study. I often stayed in the laboratory all night. I progressed quickly, much to the amazement of my colleagues and professors. 2 years passes this way.

In this time, I never once visited my family. Only those that have studied science like I have understand its appeal. In other areas of study, you can learn what the wisest know, and go no further. In science, you can make your own discoveries. Indeed, I made improvements to some scientific instruments, which earned me much admiration from the college. 

I had gone very far in my studies, and therefore did not need to attend college anymore. I considered returning home, but a accident happened that required me to stay. I became very interested in what made life, life. To anyone else, this would seem dry and dull, intolerable. To me, it was fascinating. 

However, to understand life, I had to understand death. To do this, I spent time in charnel houses and graveyards. My upraising taught me not to fear the dark, or the supernatural, so this was not so bothersome. I studied every detail. During this study, I made my discovery. My discovery was so incredible and so within my grasp I was thrilled. 

I see your eagerness to know what I discovered. But take caution, and listen patiently to my story and you will understand my caution in telling you. 

At this time, I spent much time deciding how to use the power of reanimation. At length, I have decided to make a human. The smallness of the parts hindered my progress, and thus decided to make a being that was a giant, nearly 8 feet in height. I assumed my creature would look to me like a god, and I dreamt of being able to renew life where death had stilled it. 

I worked tirelessly. I worked by day, and by night. My cheeks grew paler and paler. My limbs shook, and I was driven by a frantic impulse. I brought my work to near conclusion. That summer of my work was a beautiful one. I nevertheless worked hard. I heard from my father, who wanted me to contact him. But I could not bring myself to, it felt as if my work had swallowed me. At that time, I thought my fathers feelings loathsome, but now I see a measure of a man is his calmness. This applied to study as well, and if a study makes one crazy, then those studies are surely evil. The letters from my father never held anger or correction, only patience. 

Onward I worked, season by season, forgetting to stop and smell the roses. I lost my health, and my mad belief was that when I found the answer, the symptoms would fade.