Ch. 4

It was a dreary night in November when all of my work paid off. I was very anxious. I gathered my tools, and prepared for my experiment. It was already one in the morning, when I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open, and begin to move. 

Im not sure how to describe my emotions at this time. I had chosen beautiful features for him; pearly teeth, large muscles, and long black hair. However, this beautiful features only seemed to contrast horribly with this monstrosity. 

I had worked hard for 2 years on my dream. I nearly killed myself with the work. Now that I had finished, however, disgust filled my heart. Unable to see what I had created, I rushed from the room. I tried to sleep, and after much trouble I managed to dream fearful dreams. In my dream, I saw Elizabeth, and I kissed her. As I did, she seemed to die in my arms, becoming my dead mother.

I awoke in a cold sweat. The monster was before me, and his eyes were fixed upon me. He made some odd sounds, and he grinned at me, while extending his arm towards me. I rushed him, and escaped, and spend the rest of the night hiding in the courtyard, fearing every sound. Thinking of the creature, I knew he was ugly when i saw all of his parts assembled, but nothing scared me so much as when he was animate. Even Dante could not conceived a creature like this. 

I passed the night horribly. My heart nearly beat out of my chest, and I felt weakness. I felt disappointment wash over me. My dreams that had been my food were now my hell. 

At last, morning arrived. It was 6 AM. I went out into the street, with quick steps, fearing the monster would be around the next corner. I dared not return to my home. I walked on for a while, enjoying the brief reprieve from my mind the exercise gave me.    

I continued on in this manner for a while. At length, I reached an area where many carriages were, and felt compelled to wait for a particular one. Much to my surprise, Henry Clerval came out of the carriage. He said, " Dear Frankenstein, how fortunate that you be here the same time as I!" Nothing could equal my delight in seeing him. He brought back pleasant memories of my childhood, my father, and Elizabeth. Seeing him drove away my worries if only for a moment. He told me that he was here to earn an education, after convincing his father that a bookkeep needed to know more then books. After a while, I asked him how my father, family, and Elizabeth were. He said that they were very happy and very well, if only slightly displeased for me not corresponding more. Before continuing, he told me I looked pale, as if I had missed rest for many nights. I told him that he was correct, but that that which had kept me from sleeping was no longer present. 

We arrived back at my apartment. I feared the monster was here. I threw the door open, expecting the worst, and thankfully finding nothing. I began to laugh uncontrollably. Clerval was distressed, poor man, trying to understand my madness. I thought I saw the monster enter, and begin to fit. 

This was the beginning of my nervous fever. Henry was my only nurse, and I learned later that he had spared father and Elizabeth pain by not telling them the extent of my illness. 

I really was quite ill. The monster appeared before me constantly. At first, my ramblings about him were put off to be disturbed fever driven hallucinations, but the persistency of my ramblings about him made Henry believe some horrible event had been the cause of my sickness. 

Slowly but surely I received. I spoke to Clerval, thanking him for being my nurse this winter, instead of studying as he had promised himself. I wanted repay him. He said that I could repay him by reading a letter sent in by my cousin, and of course replying to them in my own handwriting. I began to read the letter.