Dreaming and the Art of It - Before - 6

Okay!

There's going to be an Author's Note at the end of this part, just to clear some things up :)

Otherwise, please enjoy! Let me know how you like it, as always!

-jennaxxx

Chapter Six

Roslyn:

‘Take a left in 0.1 miles.’

“Turn that damn thing off!”

“No,” I growled at Dom. “You’re going to get us lost. I’d rather deal with this annoying bitch and get there as soon as possible than have you mess up!”

Dominic’s eyes widened, and returned to normal. He muttered some things under his breath, but I didn’t ask what.

I was so glad all the kids were in the back, unable to hear me curse like a mad woman through the whooshing wind. I turned around to check that they were all fine, curled up together with numerous blankets. I was positive that they were going to get colds; we were in the midst of winter already. I thought it was a terrible idea, to stick them in the back of the truck, but when it’s six against one you hardly have a decent defense.

“You can stop that, Rosie,” Dom chuckled. “They’re not going to go flying out -,”

“But thanks for putting that image in my mind,” I snorted sarcastically.

“That’s it,” Dominic grimaced. “We’re pulling over at the next rest stop. You and I both need some sleep.”

I nodded, deciding that it was probably a good idea. I hadn’t slept in the past twenty-four hours – probably more than that, but in my state, I couldn’t be bothered to count. I was getting sour, and fast.

And on that note, I glanced back at the kids again, counting heads. Dominic chuckled from beside me. “You’re amazing,” he smiled, incredulous at my being so anal.

“I know,” I yawned. “Motel?”

Dominic nodded and pulled into the next exit off the highway. After parking in an idle lot in front of a Comfort Inn, I climbed out and walked around to the back. Besides Harper and Dexter, they were all soundly asleep.

“Lucky bastards,” Dominic mumbled under his breath from beside me.

I elbowed him a little bit and smiled at Harper. “We needed some rest, and you guys can’t possibly be comfortable in there.”

“I’ll pop in and get a couple of rooms,” Dom nodded towards the motel.

“It’s pointless to stay at a motel,” Dexter yawned. “We’ll just waste more time.”

“Can you get by on a few hours of rest, in the car?” Harper asked, looking at the rest of them. “They’re already asleep, and if we wake them, they probably won’t get any more rest.”

I looked to Dominic. “They’re right; we can just catch a few hours. Illinois isn’t that far away anymore. Do you think you’ll make it with just a little bit of rest?”

“Just, in the car?” He frowned. “That’s not safe for the kids, just hanging around in the back.”

“First of all,” Harper said with a polite smile. “We’re not kids. You can stop calling us that. And secondly, I can just keep up a force field around the car while you guys sleep.”

My eyes widened. “Seriously?”

She grinned and nodded her head eagerly. “I’ve been keeping one up on the whole ride here, up until now. You know, just in case.”