Chapter Six

"What did you wish for?" Mom asks.
"Absolutely nothing," I say. "I've got everything I need right here."
After cake, we gather in the livingroom, where everyone gives me gifts.
"Jackie," I say and grin. "You didn't!" I hold up a blue Teddy Bear holding a broken heart.
"I don't get it.." Kayden mumbles.
"The heart fell off, and he fixed it," I say, hugging my brother. He smiles and sits with mom. Mom gives me a big box, it ends up being a new phone, a new game, and a laptop. Hayley's gift was a matching friendship necklace of the moon. Teddy's was private, she said to open it when I'm alone so it's in my room.
Dad's was a small box. I look up at him as I grab the key from it.
"No," I say, smiling.
"The key to the Charger." He says. "All yours."
Jessica bought me a crapton of band shirts. Leslie and her dad bought me a couple of swimsuits, and shorts. Kayden gives me his gift last.
"What is it?" I ask as he gives me one of the boxes. He smiles as I pull out the ring.
"Not an engagement ring," he says. He shows me his necklace which has the same one on it. I smile and slide it on my middle finger.
"I love it," I say to him. He gives the the other box, which is bigger. I unwrap it, and see a new beauty.
I hold up the camera and smile, hypnotized by it's silver shine. "Its absolutely amazing. Wait, didn't you say you had three gifts?"
"Anna," Mom says.
"I do," Kayden says. "Ill give you the last one later."
Dad stands and grins. "Now, we party!"

"Change is scary," I tell Leslie. We watch everyone as they dance and party at the beach, we sit on the porch. Kayden helps Jackie with the bonfire.
"But you're ready?" She asks me. I look at her and smile slightly.
"I think I am," I nod. "A lot has happened in one month, I've got one month to convince my mom I want to stay."
"You're eighteen, you have a right." Leslie says. I watch as Kayden walks up to us.
"I know," I say. "But I'm terrified."
"Of what?" Kayden asks, sitting next to us. "Leslie, can we be alone for a sec?"
"Sure," she says and gets up. She takes five steps and stops. "Remember, you can do this." Kayden faces me and folds his hands over mine.
"Ready for that last gift?" He asks. I smile and nod. "Okay, don't laugh at me." He takes my hand and leads me inside, then out to the front porch. There's a single chair facing the porch, and I take my seat. Soon, everyone else joins, sitting in chairs they've brought. I see the microphone he brought, I smile wider. He sets up his piano, and starts playing it. He's singing my favorite Crown The Empire song, Lead Me Out Of The Dark.
"Its not quite a mystery... I'm the one who's insecure, you're the one that makes believe that we're all okay. We're doing fine when we're both fighting just to stay, to stay alive. A fragile state of mine, that I can't quite survive. Without a doubt, I need your help. I know you've heard me ask before, but come on girl I need to tell you now, I know what I've done wrong.. the only way out of here, is the way I've avoided for all my life," he stops playing the piano and lookes me dead in the eye.
"There's so many things I want to say but there's too many things still in the way. I'm lost please help me find my place. You're the only one, please lead me out of the dark..." I'm the last to clap. He walks down the porch steps, and I stand up. He pulls me to him and kisses my lips softly, as if I'll break. He smiles against my lips as everyone starts hooting and whooping.
"About time!" Jessica yells. I give him one last kiss before pulling back.
"That was the best gift anyone has given to me," I whisper.
"Better than Disney World?" He asks with a smile. When I nod, he asks, "even with the princesses?"
"Hmm.. I dunno..." I say, pulling back and smiling. He shakes his head and pulls me back to him. "Way better."
"Anna has cooties!" Jackie yells. Everyone laughs, he runs to me and hugs me. "Ill save you!"
"I'm already saved," I say, looking at Kayden. He returns my smile, and he chases Jackie around. Best birthday ever.