8. THE RECIPE FOR DANGER [KARMA]

—"Look, Selene

—"Look, Selene. See the humans you adore so. See there is no kindness left in them."

[KARMA]

BY THE TIME Thursday rolled around, I was damn tired of dragging myself from class to class.

Tyler Parish wasn't at school all week which was a surprise to me but maybe it was also a good thing and having lunch with the popular crowd wasn't so bad now that I'd been trying not to take Cassidy too seriously.

I was actually starting to enjoy her attitude a bit. It made her seem more down to earth and less intimidating than I figured she was at first.

"What were you even doing hanging out with all the losers before anyway? You were practically made to be one of us," Cassidy spoke up, taking a cookie out of the bag I'd been munching, and she was glaring at the table of misfits that even Alex had barely interacted with; sad goth girls and spotty D&D boys who spent most of their time on their devices instead of actually socializing.

"Alex wasn't a loser, Cass," I sighed, "She just liked different things."

"Oh my gosh. Seriously, Karma, you need to get over her," Cassidy wrapped an arm around my neck and pulled me close to her side, "What makes her so special anyway? She was practically invisible last year."

I shrugged my shoulders, trying very hard not to roll my eyes, "She's actually funny. She's easy to talk to-"

"I'm funny and easy to talk to!" Cassidy had me in a chokehold at this point, "And way more interesting, too."

"Are you actually jealous or what?" I croaked, attempting to loosen her grip while Nancy and Lily were laughing.

Cassidy seemed offended by the question.

"Jealous?" She paused before letting me go and getting up from the lunch table, "I'm not jealous and you know why?"

She stretched up on her tiptoes, arms high above her head, before doing a few back handsprings across the cafeteria's open space and drawing everyone's attention. She ended in a split that got the entire room cheering and whistling before she got to her feet again and jogged back to the table, grinning and flashing her hair, "I bet Alex could never do that."

Alex wasn't self-absorbed, though.

"Okay, we get it," I conceded.

"She was kinda pretty though," Nancy spoke up, a thoughtful look on her slender face, and she was catching her thick curly hair up in a half puff with the black scrunchie she always wore on her wrist.

"Who was kinda pretty?" Ashton appeared from out of thin air and sat next to her with one of his friends, Shiloh, a wannabe skater boy with damaged bleached blonde hair that was peaking out from under his thrasher beanie.