18. THE FRIENDZONE [ALEX]

—Theon was victorious over the great beast and his dying song met the Goddess' ears

[ALEX]

AFTER SCHOOL ON Friday, I waited by my locker for Emette. I saw him heading towards me as the halls cleared and a smile spread over my face.

"Heyy!" He grinned, hugging me tightly and lifting me off my feet.

My smile was so wide it practically split my face in two "Hey, Em."

For some reason I was feeling a lot more optimistic.

Ever since Tristan and I got the elephant out of the room I've noticed that he was able to relax more. He didn't seem nearly as cantankerous now as he did in the beginning, and over time we'd somehow become...frenemies?

It didn't make sense, but I guess we both had to adjust to all the changes in our lives recently.

Emette set me on my feet and we started walking outside.

"So how's your day been?" He asked tucking my arm into the crook of his elbow and I groaned on cue.

"Jerkwad being his name again."

"So, the same," Emette noted with a grin.

"One day I'll stab his eyeballs out with a pairing knife and then feed them to him," I grunted, teeth gritted as I balled my hands into fists.

"You two are so agro," Emette chuckled.

I growled at him (a pathetic attempt if we're being honest) and he laughed out loud, "See?"

I tilted my head up as we walked, hands stuffed into my pockets, "It's you two who bring out the aggressive side of me. I've always been super nice."

"Yup, the super nice girl who went around calling Seacrest a "shitty backwoods town" the moment she got here."

"Let it go, Emette."

He shook his head on a laugh.

"If it's any consolation, I actually really like this shitty backwoods town. Even if it's full of hicks."

"Can't be nice even when you try, huh?"

"I'm nice!" I shoved him forcefully but he didn't even budge.

To hell with these wolves and their extra strength.

"Okay, if you're so nice, what about that old homeless guy you said you kicked in the nuts back in Satin Ridge?" Emette asked, his lips twitching as he tried to hold back a teasing grin.

"Hey, I'm pretty sure that guy was trying to grab my butt, not just some loose change."

Emette let out an amused snort and I shoved into him again, "Stop laughing at me!"