22. THE LONG STORY [ALEX]

—The children of Cain unveiled the mysteries of magic

[ALEX]

THE CAR WAS slowly pulling up to the house.

It was quiet and my heart was still pounding loudly in my chest. I had a ton of questions but my throat had closed up.

It was all so surreal. Why had the rogues attacked us? Does this sort of thing always happen?

My train of thought was interrupted when Tristan braked suddenly, making me fly forward from the abrupt stop but I wasnt jolted too much since I had my seatbelt on and we were already driving slowly.

Is it okay to relax?

I was about to let out a sigh when the sounds of running could be heard, the large pawpads of wolves beating down on the ground, closing in on us.

Suddenly, two massive gray wolves jumped out on both sides of the car. I recognised them from earlier and my heart thumped harder in my chest as they snarled, their eyes glowing a crazed red.

How the hell did they get here so fast?

"They must've ran through the woods to get here before us," Emette said as if answering my silent question.

Tristan grabbed my hand and I felt a shot of electricity run its course through me.

"Stay here!" He ordered before turning to Emette, "Keep her safe, okay?"

Emette nodded and Tristan pulled off his shirt before launching himself out of the car. I sat there in utter shock as he made a dash for the two wolves, ripping out of his shorts and transforming into a large brown wolf.

The two snarling wolves encircled him, growling and snapping.

Tears filled my eyes then and Emette placed a hand on my arm from the back seat.

"Calm down, Alex."

"They'll kill him," I whimpered, a tightening feeling in my chest seizing my heart. Emette kept rubbing my arm to calm me.

"No, they won't. He's much stronger than you think."

Suddenly one of the gray wolves attacked Tristan's and made a go for his neck but he flipped him off with a loud snarl and bit into the attacking wolf's neck instead.

I dug my nails into Emette's palm deeply as I saw the second wolf pounce.

Just then another grey wolf appeared. It had a patch of black on one ear. It also joined in the fight and a host of snarling and biting ensued.