26. THE UNCANNY FEELING [KARMA]

—When the children of Cain rose up against the children of Theon, they were quickly defeated and so they retreated into the darkness, building their societies in the shadows of mankind

[KARMA]

THE FEEL OF warmth brushing my neck startled me awake and caused a shiver to work its way down my spine.

My eyes flew open when strong hands were pressing my wrists into the mattress and my heart thudded rhythmically in my chest as I tried to push against the hard body but was only able to move once Chet finally decided to let up and I met his familiar blue gaze that I'd missed more than words could explain.

"I figured it out," A small amount of blood was at the corner of his lips and I licked at my own, silently questioning him as I sat up in bed. Leah's journal was still lying next to me.

He used a large hand to cup my cheek, smiling like he didn't have a care in the world, "I was feeling pretty grumpy earlier but now I'm good. Guess I'm just not me when I'm hungry."

I blinked, finding it hard to laugh at the joke when it was obvious what he had done.

"As for the coordinates," He continued, oblivious to my unease as he was still smiling, "It's a house in Rhyne Hills, a few hours from here but I could save time if I run," His fingers caressed my skin as he spoke, "And as for the book- it's like a really condensed version of some obscure myth."

I raised a brow, "Could you read it to me?"

A boyish grin spread across his face instantly, "Of course."

I felt my heart constrict in my chest.

Was he serious about feeling like himself again? It seemed like him but there was still something that just wasn't right.

"Chet-" The word left my lips and hung in the air for a second as I looked at him.

"Yeah, babe?" He was smiling, the smile reaching his eyes and crinkling them at the corners and my gaze traveled from his eyes down to his lips, pink and full, glistening under the overhead lights as he had a habit of wetting them.

God, he's attractive.

Now, how am I supposed to say this?

"Did you... when you went out earlier, what did you do?" I already knew the answer and just the thought of it made my stomach turn.

The smile on his face faltered, but only for a moment, "I... well I got you food."

The look on his face made me think that maybe it wasn't a good idea to try getting the whole truth out of him. At the end of the day, if Chet is a vampire then he has to drink blood and I had told him no when he wanted mine.

Did it have to be human blood?

I hoped it had only been an animal.

Sucking in a breath, I placed a hand over his and looking into his eyes, I decided to ignore the issue for the time being, "What did you get?"