Newt's Confession

(Y/N)'s POV:

Gally stands beside you and puts his hands out. "Step on them. We can get out through the hole in the roof."

You nod your head and stand on his hands, clinging to his shoulders for support. You straighten yourself and reach up, grabbing on to one of the bars on the ceiling.

You haul yourself up, and step out onto the sand. There air is cool and crisp; you can see the sun starting to rise.

Minho is the next to come up. You grab his hand and help pull him up. The next is Frypan and then Gally. Thomas and Newt help each other up. You reaslise you have the pipe stuffed in your backpack.

You turn your torch off and shove it in your pocket. Thomas stands up and talks to everyone. "So we don't have the Flare. That's something I guess. But on the other hand, we have no idea where we're going."

Your group stays silent until Gally says: "Actually, I think I might know someone who can help us."

You all stare at Gally, who slowly stands up. He delibrately takes his time, stretching and scratching the back of his neck. Finally he says: "They're called the Right Arm. I've been talking with them for months now. They want to take down WICKED; use all their resources for saving what's left of humanity instead of testing and killing it."

You process the information and think out loud: "The Right Arm... That was what Teresa mentioned. She said that I'd told them where WICKED was."

Gally nods his head in agreement. "Yeah. They stormed WICKED the day you were sent up into the maze. Chancellor Paige moved everything she could to the underground facilities, but you can tell WICKED are cracking. Losing their most promising maze trials candidates might just send them over the edge. Especially if they join the Right Arm."

The gladers all look at each other and Thomas sits down next to you. He squeezes your hand and says to Gally:
"Where are the Right Arm? Can we reach them?"

Gally launches into a giant speech about where the Right Arm are and what they plan to do. You release Thomas's hand and slowly stand up. You catch Newt's eye and motion for him to walk with you.

The two of you walk around where no one can see you. He stands there awkardly and you say: "Look... Newt. I'm sorry about what happened but you haven't been the same since. I know it was because we were mad and tired but-"

"I wasn't mad or tired (Y/N). I love you and that's that."

You stand there looking gobsmacked. You turn away so you don't have to look him in the eye.

He places a hand on your shoulder and says: "You don't have to say it back. I know you love Tommy and he loves you. But... I just wanted you to know."

You pull him into a tight hug and whisper in his ear: "I do love you Newt. Just not like that."

He nods his head and pulls away from the hug. He brushes away your tears with his thumb and you kiss him on the cheek.

You walk back to your group, trying to pretend that nothing happened.