CHAPTER 15: UNDER

CHAPTER 15

UNDER

"Let's just go over some precautions before we get started," Dr. Cameron says from across the room. I gently nod and sigh.

"Besides the fact that I need to stay calm, I don't think there'll be any issues. We've already gone over the precautions."

Dr. Cameron smiles.

"We're going to get you hooked up in a few minutes."

"About how long do you think it'll take?" I ask.

Dr. Cameron shrugs.

"Anywhere between an hour and two hours. It all depends on how your body reacts to the transplantation and how you're feeling throughout the procedure."

"Will I be awake the entire time?"

"Yes. Unless you begin showing signs of distress or anxiety, we will inject you with sedatives."

I nod and lean back against the pillow. Dr. Cameron exits the hospital room and I sigh. I don't let my mind wander and keep my gaze focused on the ceiling. It's only been about a minute before a nurse enters the room with a large machine and pushes it beside the bed while another nurse wheels in a tray with several bags of liquid, many of which contain blood.

"How's Dylan doing?" I ask.

The nurse smiles as he begins hooking up the wires and tubes into my arm.

"He's doing fine. The extraction was a success and he's recovering."

"Were there any complications?" I ask quietly.

The nurse hangs one of the bags of blood on a hook attached to a metal pole and pokes the end of the bag with a needle that connects to the tubes connected to my arm.

"Everything went according to plan, Ms. Caverly," he says calmly. He didn't really answer my question, but it assuages me a little.

He slides a needle under my skin and I flinch.

"Just hold still, okay? I'm gonna turn on the machine now to get the blood flowing."

I nod.

"Okay."

The nurse flips on a switch at the back of the machine and a gentle motor starts up. The machine creates a low hum and it's kind of soothing.

"When this bag is empty, we'll hook up the next one," the nurse says with a smile.

I smile back and he leaves. The motor of the machine hums quietly in the background and I create a rhythm in my head. I tune out any background noise and try to think about happy things. If all goes well within the next few weeks, I'll be on the road to live a normal life. I smile to myself as that sinks in.

I'll be able to live a normal life!

No more worrying about how much time I have left to live. No more cynical views on life. No more thinking my life is as good as it's going to get. I'll be able to look forward to a future I didn't even know existed! But not only that, to actually be able to work for that future is a blessing to me. Most kids my age complain about the work they have to put in towards creating their life, but I never had to, because my life was never anything that would last. I never would have dreamed I'd be here, right now, going through a stem cell transplantation. In all honesty, I've already prepared myself for death, almost welcomed it. I imagined my parents might've done the same, though they'd never admit it.