CHAPTER 18: SHELLSHOCK

CHAPTER 18

SHELLSHOCK

My ears ache from the boom of the gunshot and blood trickles from the wounds on my cheek, dripping from my chin. I stare back into the black, soulless eyes of the creature when something Lionel said earlier begins to resurface. These creatures were once bodies, people, human beings, but they've lost their soul along the way. My eyes grow watery as I think of how many more of these soulless bodies there may be and I begin to cry. I cry for the ones who lost their soul and I cry for the ones who have fallen prey to The Matriarch.

Thinking of her illustrates the importance of perseverance and I have to keep going. I pick up my flashlight and continue through the woods. I make my way into a clearing that's lit up by the winter stars. I flick off the flashlight, no longer finding use in it and amble deeper in the clearing. It's huge, probably slightly larger than a football field and it's incredibly spacious. There's tall grass that brushes against my knees and I notice even in the dim lighting that there are a few flowers I've never seen before scattered among the grass. There's a bon fire in the distance and my stomach twists into knots. I stay low to the ground and creep closer to the fire. As I grow near, I can see seven or eight hooded figures scattered around the fire pit, talking in low murmurs. I scan the area and my eyes lock on a casket that sits on top of a wooden table.

"Where is she?" a woman's voice shouts fiercely and the murmuring cuts off. "Where is Elaina?"

I freeze and I can feel my heart hammering in my chest. She must know I'm here. It's too late now. But how can I fight her? I can't fight her. There must be something else I can do. Maybe-

"We lost her track in the forest," a man with a deep voice says.

"How did you lose track of her, Abdel? She's just a human!"

Abdel lowers his hood and he bows his head to The Matriarch.

"She did have assistance from her guardian angel Lionel," he says.

The Matriarch's face breaks into a malicious smile.

"Lionel?"

Before I can blink, The Matriarch raises her right hand and squeezes her fist. Abdel's breath is cut short and he falls to his knees, his mouth open in pain. His eyes cringe shut and low indescribable moans escape his mouth. Trembles violently shake Abdel's body and The Matriarch continues her torture. She's hurting him from inside his body. She tightens her raised fist and Abdel cries out in pain. The Matriarch slowly lowers her hand and Abdel falls to his face, breathing deeply and desperately gasping for air.

"Why didn't you tell me her guardian angel has been helping her?" The Matriarch shouts.

Abdel hunches over and clutches at his chest with his hand.

"They entered the forest together and I was going to send hounds to ambush them while they were together...but Elaina ran off alone after she heard Nayland screaming."

The fire crackles loudly and there's a long silence that follows.

"We need to find her," The Matriarch says with finality. "We need to kill her before dawn, or at the very least capture her."

Two dark hooded figures emerge from the forest and approach The Matriarch. I can't see their faces because their hoods are raised, but their broad build and tall frame makes me guess they're men.