Now What?

The next couple weeks passed without a word from Nick. At first I enjoyed the silence. Tommy had started to relax some and come out of his shell even more. It was amazing to see. He was funny, kind, sweet, and most of all he was real. There was something nagging at the back of my head that this wasn't over though and no matter what I couldn't shake the awful feeling.

"Adam?"

I had to blink a couple times to bring myself back to reality. I looked up at Tommy who was perched up in my lap, arms looped around my neck. I smiled softly,

"Sorry baby, what's up?"

He rolled his eyes, he turned out to be quite the teasing little shit and I absolutely loved it,

"I thought you hated scary movies?"

I glanced at the TV as some more blood sprayed and someone screamed. Scrunching up my nose I replied,

"I do. I guess you're doing too good a job of protecting me."

He gave me his 'quit-bullshitting-me' look. I chuckled and pulled him in for what was supposed to be a peck on the lips but quickly heated up. We pulled away breathless, our foreheads resting against each others. I think that was one of my favorite parts of kissing Tommy, it was like I could hear his thoughts when he was so close. A small smirk curved his lips making me realize it went both ways.

"So what kept you so distracted?"

I sighed, I hoped the kiss would have distracted him but of course not.

"Nothing important."

He pulled away completely and looked me right in the eye,

"Sure," it was long and drawn out, "totally not thinking about anything important. I mean you're usually crying like a baby and hiding behind me by this part in the movie but you're not thinking about anything important."

I stuck out my tongue; childish, yes but necessary.

"I was thinking about Nick."

I held my breath as he tensed some; it was nothing compared to the way he used to react when hearing Nick's name so there was definitely improvement. Tommy was healing and I was beyond happy he trusted me enough to partake in that healing process.

"What about him?"

I shrugged, "It's been awhile since we heard from him."

Tommy but his bottom lip, "Maybe you scared him off?"

I chuckled and pulled Tommy in closer, "I hope."

A gentle press of lips to the side of my neck confirmed Tommy was hoping the same.

We settled back into the movie but something in my gut kept me from relaxing completely. Call it a bad vibe or whatever you want but I didn't like it. Minutes later someone knocked on the door and that knot in my stomach doubled. Tommy shot me a quizzical look as he started to get up and my arms tightened around him.

"I have to get the door."

I shook my head no.

"Something isn't right."

He looked skeptical but didn't try to get up again.

"Let me answer it. Go in the bedroom and lock the door."

It wasn't a question and Tommy didn't ask any. He got up and walked to the room, sparing me one fleeting glance, concern and fear clear on his face. I took a deep breath before standing up and walking to the door.

I felt like I was walking the plank. Each step seemed to take me further away rather than closer. I took another deep breath as I reached the door, my heart thudding dangerously close in my chest. Fuck, I hope I'm overreacting.

I pulled open the door and nothing could have prepared me for what came next.