Surprise

Josh's POV

His phone rang.

He pushed himself up and looked at the clock. 8:00. He picked up the phone, not really caring to see who it is, just ready to yell at him, her, it, because it was freaking 8:00.

"Yeees?", his voice rough and demanding.

"Hi Joshy!", the voice replied.

Josh's eyes opened wide.

She didn't even need to say her name. Josh knew who she was. An ex-girlfriend of his, someone could say. Maybe. It all started in a party, three years ago.He had only a few days back in Philadelphia.He was drinking in the bar trying to forget, what else?, Maya. Josh recalled now how it was hard for him to forget her lips and the way she used to ran her hands through his hair. Forget the way she looked at him or the way she walked. Anyway, he was drunk. Kathrin saw him there and they walked home. They kissed. They became a couple a few days later. They broke up, they got back together. And that didn't happen just once . He wanted it or not, they were a legend back in Philadelphia. They weren't legends. They were just one, the legend of Josh and Kathrin. The truth was that those two did have a lot of history.

"Kathrin.", he said.

Kathrin was pretty girl. She had curly hair, brown at first and then blonde, and green eyes. Josh always liked brown eyes. They were dark and it wasn't something he could get used to. Most people called him nuts but he never changed his mind. He had grew to love blue eyes too, but that was another story. That was another person.

"...Isn't that great?!", Kathrin was saying.

Josh wished she hadn't said what he guessed she had. He was a bit glad he hadn't heard it.

"Yeah, amazing.", he replied.

Kathrin sounded excited.

"So tell me the address of your hotel. The taxi driver can't wait forever!"

Fuck.

It was was he thought it was. He told her the address.

"So what are you doing here, Kathrin? I thought you were staying home for Christmas."

She laughed softly.

"I know, I know. But I thought of coming for a surprise."

Josh's mind ran a few days ago.

Kathrin and Josh, standing outside the the airport, talking, waiting for Andrew and Brenda.

"We'll talk though." ,she was saying.

"Yeah", Josh had replied.

Andrew and Brenda arrived, Josh had to leave. As he was walking away, he thought he heard Kathrin murmuring:

"I'm going to win you back"

He didn't mind then. But now he kind of did. Josh couldn't put his finger on what changed. But something had.

Andrew dragged him out of his thoughts.

-Who the fuck was that?!, he groaned.

Josh realized that Kathrin had closed the phone.

He threw his mobile on the bed and focused on Andrew's swearing.

.....

"I don't mind. The floor's just fine!", Kathrin said.

Josh was surprisingly silent. He was lying on his bed, his eyes closed.

His phone rang again and he sighed.

He picked it up and noticed that every conversation in the room stopped, as his friends were looking at him curious.

"Hello?", he asked.

"Hi, Josh! It's uhh... It's Maya."

She didn't need to say it. Josh could recognize her voice everywhere.

He immediately got up, surprising Andrew, who was sitting next to him.

"Maya? W-what's up?", he was suddenly nervous.

That feeling left when she laughed softly.

"I got some good news for you. Remember that interview that you made? Well, you forgot to give your phone but Travis called me and told me that you took the job."

The news brought an overwhelming relief. He took a deep breath. Then something else got in his mind.

"What about you?"

It was ridiculous, how worried he was for her, when he had entirely forgot about his interview.

"I'm in.", she said.

Another wave of overwhelming relief.

"Congratulations."

He could almost feel Maya smiling.

'Thanks Josh. Back to you. Look, I have to go. Riley says you can come over anytime you want.", she said.

"See you."

He closed it. He looked around the room and smiled.

Brenda raised an eyebrow.

"Why so smiley?", she asked.

Josh smiled even wider.

"I got the job."

His friends didn't seem surprised at all. They told him they expected it. Only Kathrin seemed kind of out of place.

"W-what job?", she asked.

Josh felt heavy. That was going to be bad.

"I gave an interview for a job.", he avoided the actual problem.

"But you're going back to Phili.", she said, confused.

Josh stiffened. He didn't say anything.

Kathrin raised her eyebrows.
And Josh knew that no matter how hard he tried, he could never forget her hurt glance, before she quickly turned away.

"Andrew, Brenda. You should go for a walk.", Josh said.

"No we shouldn't", Andrew said, "It's cold."

Brenda turned her eyes to the ceiling. She grabbed Andrew's arm and dragged him out of the room.

Josh cleared his voice and started.

"Look, Kath. It's a good job. I have a brother living nearby. It was a good offer. The money is good. Sorry."

They were good excuses but Josh knew that they didn't mean anything to her.

She turned around to face him again and her green eyes were close to tearing.

"Then I'm staying too.", she stated.

Kath was always so stubborn.

That took Josh by surprise. What she was saying didn't make any sense.

"No, you're not.", he replied calmly, "There's nothing for you here."

"You're here!"

She was yelling.

"We have a history, Josh. I thought we could work it out, we always do. But obviously this time is different. You're gone for what? Two days? And you just decide to stay here forever?!"

Josh knew he shouldn't be angry at her but he was.

"I'm making a life here! We're twenty three, Kathrin! I am not going to rott in Philadelphia. New York has endless opportunities!", he paused then added: "We can still be friends!"

"Friends?! When were we ever friends?!"

She was furious. Suddenly she took her bag and walked to the door.

"Where are you going?", Josh asked, tired.

"Tonight, at the subway, at seven. Be there."

And she left.