Chapter 10: Armed men

The building in front of us had all the curtains drawn. There was light behind them, but Speedy couldn't look inside. We would be running blind in there.

J: "How can you be sure, he's in there?"

Speedy: "I have my ways."

I lifted my eyebrow. Had his ways? Why didn't I like the sound of that?

KF: "Don't worry Jinx. Even if he's not here, some of his men are."

I looked around. We were standing on the rooftop of the building in front of the safe house. All the curtains were drawn, so we couldn't see if there were anybody in there.

J: "Maybe they left the light on. We used to do that in the Hive Five, so that the teen Titans wouldn't know when we weren't home."

Kid Flash lifted his eyebrow, and Speedy started to laugh.

Speedy: "Great idea to bring a criminal mastermind Flashy."

I clenched my fist. His attitude was killing me! Criminal mastermind? He could take his stupid bow and shove it up his own ass.

Speedy finally stopped laughing and looked at Kid Flash.

Speedy: "Alright, here is the plan: I'll shot an arrow with a cable through a window, and we are all going to glide down that cable. Kid Flash you search for Brick. Jinx and I will make a distraction."

J: "How discreet."

Speedy winked at me. Then he got up and fired his arrow. He gave us a device, that we could use to glide on the cable. Speedy went first, and then I followed. I flew quickly through the air, and made a perfect landing trough the window. I got up and saw that the room we were standing in was full of armed men. Kid Flash landed and he looked just as surprised as me.

KF: "Shit! Was this a part of the plan?"

Speedy: "No... Divide and conquer?"

KF: "No shouldn't we..."

Speedy fired an arrow. It hit the ceiling above the armed men and exploded. It was all chaos. I took advantage of the panic and ran through a door on my left side. But the armed men were not stupid. Soon I had a long tail of them behind me.

I ran trough hallways until I reached a stairway. I wanted to run down, but I could hear more men from below, so I ran up the stairs. They were right behind me, and they started to shot after me. Where were Kid Flash and Speedy?

I ran up, I don't know how many floors, but it continued, and the armed men were right behind me. I ran as fast as I could. I slammed into the door at the top, and I stumbled out. I was standing on the roof! The armed men were right behind me. There was no way I could jinx them all, and they all had guns. I ran to the edge. It was a long way to the ground, and the fall would surely kill me.

I looked at the door, and three men armed with machineguns were already aiming at me. I tried to jinx them. Two of them flew in different directions, and the third man hit another man and they both fell. But it didn't matter. More came running up the stairs. I jinxed as many as I could, but there was to many of them.

I saw the bullet just before it disappeared into my body. I pierced my cloth and flesh, and a stumbled backwards. It hit right above the hip in the left side. the pain spread like flames. I had fought many times, and wounds were no stranger to me, but I had actually never been shot before. Probably because it mainly were the bad guys who used guns.

Shocked by the instant pain that hurt too much to ignore it, I stumbled backwards, and before I knew it I had run out of roof. My foot steeped into the thin air, and I felt my body fall. Time almost froze and I still looked at the door. I saw Kid Flash flashing through the crowd. He looked scared and ran towards me. I had eye contact with him for less than a half second, but it was enough. I fell, but his eyes made me feel safe in some weird way.