eleven

Emily's point of view

We walk through the wall of warmth, disintegrating into air conditioning. A small diner just on the out skirts of a busy city, vacant with a Thursday night.

My family sits centered of the room, most tables pushed up to one another in order to fit every body.

It had been a long day, a stressful day. But there wasn't once that I had seen Jace tense up so bad, like he had at that point.

I watch his eyes dart to all the empty faces. I think about grabbing onto him. Settling him. But I don't. I remain stubborn, my arms crossed in front of me.

We approach the table, voices dying down to look at us. All but one.

The only obnoxious one within my family, opens her mouth. Yelling loud enough for us to have heard from the car. 
"There you are! I haven't seen you in forever"

"Hi, aunt Sadie" I wave lightly. Praying her obnoxious laugh wouldn't come out tonight. It did.

"Who's this tall drink of water, huh?" She watches Jace. A smirk spread across her thin lips.

I grab his loose hand finally, uncomfortable. She wasn't much older then us. And it wouldn't have been the first time growing up she'd tried to get with one of my boyfriends.

"This is Jace"

"Oh Jace" she giggles lightly, sticking out her painted hand across the table "I'm Sadie".

"Nice to meet you" He lets go of me to shake her hand, unsure.

"Where are you staying tonight?-"

"Aunt Sadie, thats enough" My sister cuts in, eyeing me annoyed.

"Yes, Aunt Sadie, please" i shoot a glance at her.

We take a seat down across the table from them. Staring awkwardly to the other side.

A conversation strikes up once again and for a moment, things were going good.

My dad glances away from his sisters towards us.
"So jace, what are you planning on doing with your future?"

Jace picks up his water,
"Not so sure sir, something in the film industry. I think I want to direct instead of act in the future."

"And a family?"

Jace breathes in his water, unprepared for the question.
"No- not, no family"

"Well, i will say its great that you have goals."

"Thank you, sir" he grows uncomfortable.

A different conversation starts soon before jace excuses himself to the bathroom.

I watch him walk back to the back hallway. I get up, following him unnoticed through a heated discussion.

"Jace"

"Hey" he speaks, leaning against the brick wall of the hallway.

"What are you doing?" I laugh lightly

"I don't know. Your dad asked me that question, I panicked"

"Yeah, that was weird he brought that up" I lean next to him.

"What now, Emily? Its gonna look sure of lot worse now that he thinks I despise having a family"

"He'll forget by the time we tell him"

"How long are you planning on putting it off?"

"Until I'm ready"

"Listen. You can chose when it is, but it's going to be within the next month, alright?"