Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO.

I stared at her blankly. After everything that had happened that day already, I didn’t think my brain could hold out. So I just stared, waiting for her to go on. When I didn’t reply to her out of place statement, she smiled at me and the light in her eyes glinted.

Looking around her office, I could see she was a minimal fuss person. There were no pictures on the walls, and just one on the pristine wooden desk. It was of a happy looking family. There was a handsomely ageing man, a young pretty girl with giant brown eyes and a wide smile, and Mrs Herson, grinning at the front. I felt like I was intruding by looking at her personal photo, so I looked back at her and just managed to stifle a yawn.

“Yes, I thought you would be tired. Standard procedure I’m afraid, I wish things could be quicker but… Ah yes. I’m getting ahead of myself. You don’t even know why you are here. Let me explain.”

Suddenly, a thought hit me. Even though this woman was making no sense at all, I had to tell her the truth. With the nonsense coming out of her mouth, there was a chance she would believe me.

“I didn’t do it!” I shot out, my eyes wide and pleading. “It wasn’t me! I was just there, I swear it wasn’t-”

I was interrupted.

“Yes, yes. We know that honey. Let me explain. Everything will become clear. Just let me tell you the real story.”

I sat back in my chair, crossed my legs and bit my tongue. Yes, the ’real story’ did sound rather appealing. In fact, the whole story was more what I was looking for. You know, including things like why I had been accused of something I didn't do!

“Thank you. Now, lets start at the beginning. Seems a good place to start. Yes. Right. Okay.”

It briefly crossed my mind that the person in front of me was a little loopy, but I didn’t say anything as she continued her story.

“Many years ago, pretty much when people came around, there were three people who could do.. Things. Amazing things. One of them could manipulate objects, another could make water appear out of nowhere and freeze it, play with it, move it. You get the idea. The last of the three could control fire.”

She gave me a knowing smile before going on.

“Obviously, these were not the first with such abilities. Nor were they the last. But these were the ones who helped form some sort of group for the people of the world with the same… powers, if you will. But that part gets better later on in the story.”

I was confused. Were these people real? Did they actually do these things? I wanted to know.

“Is this a myth?” I asked. “Because, c’mon. This cant be real, right?”

“Wrong,” Was the instant reply I received. “This is real. This happened. Let me continue.”

I did.

“The first of the three - the one who could move objects - could also see who had the ability to move fire, or water, or objects. Basically, he could see who else had powers. Whenever he found someone like them, he would take the person back to his quarters, and he and his powerful friends would teach the new recruit how to use his powers. How to control them. This group spiralled, and, about 150 years ago, became a school. This school to be exact.”

The smile on her face was the complete opposite of what I was feeling. So this was a school for people with.. Powers? Wait. Did she think that the tent fire meant that I was like them? I almost laughed out loud.