Chapter three

Chapter Three

"What are you so happy about?" Charlotte said as I came up next to her.

"Oh nothing. I just scored myself a hot date, that's all." Char's mouth dropped open.

"What!? It's your first day here, and you've already got a date? Holey crap, Kid!" She said, obviously shocked.

"What, nobody has ever asked you out?" I said, playing with her two golden brown braids. Charlotte shook her head no, looking down at the ground.

"What? Are you serious?" She nodded. I stopped and bent down to look at her.

"Look, if at least one of those boys out there hasn't even thought about asking you out, then they are pretty freaking stupid. I mean, look at you! Your smart, your beautiful, and your stronger than those silly little city girls. And besides, you don't need boys. They would just pester you anyways with their stupid little tricks."

"No they wouldn't." Charlotte said stubbornly.

"Ohhh trust me, sweetheart. They would tell you they love you, then go ahead and flirt with other girls, they would be all sweet to you then suddenly turn on you and go haywire, and they would break your heart. It's just what they do." I said, thinking of past experiences.

Charlotte nodded. "Thanks Krista." She said, smiling and throwing her arms around me.

"Anytime. Now let's get going before your mom worries about us." I said, lightly punching her on the shoulder.

                                *                                             *                                             *                                             *

As soon as we got back to the farm, I dropped off my stuff and headed to the big red barn. Classic, I know.  As soon as I entered it, I heard a loud whiney. Turning to my left, I saw my warm-blooded horse, Renee. Smiling I went over to her pen, and rubbed her chestnut fur.

"Hey, you remember me! Well, of course you do, considering I've paid attention to you every time I come here so... I would hope you remember me!" I said, feeding her a carrot.

Renee nuzzled me, and I stroked her soft fur, right where she had a white tear-drop shape, kind of in front of her nose. When she turned her head to me, I noticed that around her right eye, there was some white, speckle-y stuff.  I tried brushing it off, but it just felt like her fur. I hope it wouldn't agitate her.

I gave Renee another carrot, and headed inside to work on my homework. Even though it was my first day, I still had loads. Ugh, this school does NOT go easy on you! At least I had covered most of this stuff back at my old school, so it was relatively easy.

By the time I had finished my math and science and english homework, it was time for dinner. Yumm, Lasagna-- Vegetarian lasagna, I mean.

"So, Krista, I heard you got yourself a boyfriend." Aunt Bess said.

"Uhh, yea. His name is Jake." I answered, feeling my face go red.

"Waaiittt, you mean Jake Cutlass? Like, the hot popular Jake Cutlass?" Charlotte said, dropping her fork with a loud clatter.

"Umm I don't know? And dude, your fourteen, you shouldn't be thinking that about a sixteen year old!"

"Yea, like you didn't think like that when you were fourteen." Ben said, punching me on the shoulder.

"I didn't!! I thought about boys my own age! I'm not a little weirdo like Charlotte, over here."

"Hey!! I'm not weird..."