Chapter six

Hey guys... I know, I know.. Took me FOREVER to upload. Sorry. But maybe you'll be happy with this one? Whatever. Here.

The chick on the right is Krista.

_______________________________________________________________________________

            We continued walking home without incident. Charlotte was once again comfortable with me, and we started talking about this 'Tyler' kid.

            "-And ohmygosh! He said the sweetest thing to me today!" Charlotte went on.

            "Oh, really now? What's that?" I asked, glad that the awkward walking was over.

            "He said 'You have the prettiest smile I've ever seen.'" She said, beaming at me.

            "Those braces really paid off, didn't they?" I said, and Charlotte nodded in agreement.

            "Do you think he likes me?" She asked, looking at me.

            "I think he does. I mean, what guy would compliment your smile if he didn't like you?" Charlotte shrugged as we walked into the house.

            Walking into the house was like walking into a funeral. Everybody was silent, and wouldn't look me in the eye. It reminded me of when my parents died. Even the house seemed to be dreary.

            I dropped off my bag and headed to the stables. Upon entering, I heard a familiar sound-- it was Renee. She was again prancing around in circles, excited to see me. I grabbed some hay on my way over, and fed some to her. I again noticed the strange white marks on her face. They seemed to be a little whiter.

            Once I was done feeding Renee, I started my chores of cleaning the stables and feeding the other animals on the farm. I didn't really mind doing it; it gave me a chance to clear my head. Plus, I didn't have to go inside to face a bunch of people staring at me like I was a madman.

            It was around five o'clock when I had finished with my chores. I had no choice but to go inside and do my homework.

            Sighing, I put my stuff away and slowly walked back to the house. I was half-way there when Ben jumped out in front of me unexpectedly, making me scream.

            "Oh man! Hahaha! You should've seen your face!! Hahaha!" Ben said, doubled over as he laughed.

            "Dude!! What the heck!?!" I said, a little angry.

            "Oh man... Hahaha! And you screamed like a little girl!" Ben tried to get up, but ended up back on his knees.

            "Umm, maybe it's because I am a girl?" I said, walking past him to get back into the house, not waiting for a response.

            Once inside, things seemed to be more normal. I guess people had actually grasped the fact that I wasn't a freak, and that I was still me. I headed up to my room, and I remembered the frantic memory-lane-rampage from last night. Closing my door, I quickly picked up the pictures and put them into the bottom drawer, making sure to not linger on any of the photos.

            I worked on my homework for another half hour. By then, I was pretty much done. The teachers didn't feel like grading papers anymore, I guess. If I were a teacher, I'd never give homework... I mean, who would want to grade all that stuff!?

            Walking downstairs, I helped Aunt Bessie with dinner, just like I do most nights. Without her asking, I helped chop up vegetables for her infamous tomato soup. What made it so good was that it wasn't just tomatoes-- there were other vegetables and also pasta. Bessie claims to have gotten it from a cookbook, but we all knew she just threw stuff in a pot and hoped it worked.