Chapter ten

Sorry for the long wait, you know, summer and all... Okay maybe I was just being lazy >.<

_______________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 10          

JAKES POV

                The first thing I noticed was the giant picture that hung behind Krista's bed.  It was a painting of a brightly colored heart, surrounded by darkness. On the bottom of the painting in neat, slanty writing, it said, "Always remember to leave your heart open, and to keep it full of love." The frame was made out of macaroni noodles, but it didn't seem out of place. It seemed to fit perfectly.

                The second thing that captured my eye was a small case of assorted items.  There were a few knick-knacks of small animals, a few pieces of jewelry, and some sea-glass, but the majorities of items were different colored stones.

                The thing that caught my eye was a teardrop shaped stone, with a divot in the middle. The stone had a pattern like smoke-- it was cloudy and white, but if you brought it up to the light you could see right through it. I turned my attention to the sleeping girl on the bed.

                My first thought was that she was beautiful. Krista's golden brown hair was spread out on the bed behind her, and her face was smushed against a math book. Her arm hung down the side of the bed, still holding the pencil.  Gently I reached over and shook her shoulder.

                "Krista," I said, softly, "wake up."

                Krista quick sat up and slapped me across the face. I staggered backwards as she brought her hands to her face, quickly realizing it was me, and not some creepy murderer.

                "I am so sorry!"  She said, walking towards where I lay, sprawled out on her carpet.

                "God damn! I would not like to be on your bad side." I said, cupping my cheek with my hand.

                "Sorry, its something my dad taught me to do."

                "Your dad taught you to slap people when they try to wake you?"

                "No, he told me to slap the strange man in my room."

                "But I'm not a strange man," I said, confused.

                "You seemed like it while you were poking around my room. Besides, I was half asleep, cut me some slack." Krista playfully punched me in the shoulder.

                "We should start training before it gets too dark." I said, standing up. Krista nodded and headed out of her bedroom. I followed her downstairs, where she grabbed an icepack and threw it to me so I could ice my face.

                "What happened to you?" Bessie asked me when we walked into the kitchen.

                "I did the sleeping punch thing Dad always told me to do," Krista shrugged as she said this, while Bessie burst out laughing.

                "That's my Richard!" Bessie said, going about her business, still laughing.

                Krista and I made it outside, and she instinctively reached for her sword. I shook my head at her.

                "Today we work on strength, considering I can't exactly fight one-handed," I gestured to my swollen cheek. Krista laughed and headed towards the field.