Chapter four

Chapter Four

                "I'm sorry?" I said, shocked.

                "You're supposed to be dead!!"

                "Is this some kind of joke? I mean, you're kidding, right?" I said. I was starting to get mad, and I could feel my face getting all hot.

                "Krista, come on. It's just a stupid carnival thing. It's probably a prank, since it is a carnival. "Jake said, putting five dollars on the counter, as the fortune teller sat, breathing heavily and staring at me with wide eyes. Nodding, I stood up so we could leave.

                Suddenly the old lady grabbed my hand. She seemed to have calmed down a bit within the past thirty seconds. "I'm sorry about your family. It was a tragic accident, but it wasn't meant to happen. And you are so much like your mother, darling, you have no idea." I jerked my hand from her grasp, and ran out of the tent.

                "Krista! Krista, wait!" Jake called after me, but I kept on walking. I dodged all the people waiting for their stupid cotton candy or for some stupid game or ride or whatever. I saw the edge of the forest that seemed to line the area, and bolted for it. I could still hear Jake calling my name, but just barely.

                Once I was in the forest, it got all quiet. All the sounds of people talking and having fun were gone, the music from the rides and the street performers were a faint hum in the background. I wasn't paying attention as I ran, and I tripped over a stone, or something (like I said, I wasn't paying attention).

                Caught off guard, I didn't have time to catch myself before I fell on my face. Spitting dirt out of my mouth, I could feel the tears welling up behind my eyes, about to spill. I pounded on the ground, and stifled a scream as the tears poured down my cheeks.

                Not wanting to break down in the middle of nowhere, I wiped my face, and stood up. While brushing the dirt off my clothes, I felt somebody grab me by the shoulder. I felt my stomach drop, and my heart skipped a beat. As both adrenaline and instinct kicked, in, I spun around and punched whoever grabbed me in the face. Apparently a little too hard, cause he ended up falling on the ground. And that's when I realized that it was Jake who I punched.

                "Oh my gosh Jake, I'm so sorry!!" I said, kneeling next to him.

                "Holey crap!! You can certainly pack a punch!" He said, holding his face.

                "Yea, sorry. I took two years of karate." I said, trying to get a look at his face. It was already starting to turn purple, and was starting to swell up.

                "So, why'd you punch me?" Jake asked, getting up.

                "I was scared."

                "So you punched me?"

                "Yea."

                "Are you ok?" Jake said, turning to look at me.

                "Yea, I'm just a little shaken."

                "Ok, I wasn't sure, cause you ran an--"

                "Don't worry about it." I said, grabbing his hand and walking out of the forest. When we got out, most of the people were gone. We must have been in there longer than I thought.