Chapter 6: Vent

Last class of the day, my passion, Piano. Well, Advance Piano. As for the rest of lunch and Literature class afterwards, I had to wear a gym sweatshirt that the health room lady gave to me. It was two sizes too big. It seemed as if I had on a baby night gown for my small height of 5'2, so I knotted the shirt to my waist. I shoved my drenched hoodie in my backpack for the day. For my hair it smelled like strawberries, it's a good thing and a bad thing, if you catch my drift. Anyways, I put my hair in bun, after Sara and Angela helped me wash out some of the sweet drink in the girls bathroom sink. You can say for the rest of day I was the talk of the school. Might as well print out the school newspaper with headlines,

"New Nerd On The Block Gets Drowned by the Queen's Newbies."

Hopefully things can't get any worse because I don't want to have two breakdowns in one day.

There are 13 pianos in the room, just beautiful satin black with a graceful gleam of the varnish shines from the fluorescent lights above. The other students, twelve of them began to take seats on a piano. Saw some stares toward my way, and a few murmurs. *Sigh*, might as well get used to it just like before. People are so blatant and censure here in Brighton.

I pick the piano close to the only window in the room as rain began falling down, matching my mood. The dark clouds and empty skies were comforting. As I sat and placed my backpack down, the teacher announced herself as Mrs. Shepherd. Our first assignment was to play a piece of choice. Easy A.

She gave us ten minutes of thinking time. Began tapping keys to Beethoven's ninth symphony. Too easy but it'll do for an A. I just wasn't in the mood for anything really. I stared out window as the rain started to drizzle instead of drench. Making rivulets of drops cascade down the window softly. I began to think.

Why does Mandy come here? And her ditzy half sister Lauren? Why am I put in such punishment? Seems to Madeline, they're her allies and happens to be her cousins, according to Sara. I'm living in temporary hell aren't I? I'm just so fucking lucky.

"You're Arielle Patel?" the vivid blonde teacher, Mrs. Shepherd interrupted my thoughts.

"Yes."

"Welcome to Brighton, love. Everyone is this class are experts, known them all four years. I know their talent. You? I don't how good you are, but you must be great because your other teacher in Dexter signed you up for Advance,"

I didn't know if that was a compliment or a test of weakness...

"Don't worry I don't bite Arielle. I want you prove to me how good you are to be in this class, prove your worthiness." She smiled her eyes gleamed with curiosity.

Why did it sound like I'm trying to get into Hogwarts? Hmmm, might as well play the Flight of the Bees by... I forgot his name. it's a very difficult piece to master, a lot of practice involved. I started playing the piano at 11 because my dad said, 'Your voice would go beautiful with piano keys, princess.' Hence, playing piano by force. But I ended up loving it, just like singing. I have been singing since 9 because my mom said, 'You screamed so much as baby, you need to use your strong lungs for something, niña.'

"You want me to play something for you right now?" I asked, looking into her gray eyes.

"If you willing to."

"I'm playing Flight of the Bees." I placed my finger on the glazed keys, about to play before I heard Mrs. Shepherd high pitch chuckling. Attracting the attention of the chatty pianists. What the hell?

"Flight of the Bees? That's way beyond this class," she stopped herself, placing a delicate hand on her chest. Mrs. Shepherd tapped the pen on a clip board and sat onto the counter of the wall next to me. "But, if you say you can do it. By all means go."