Chapter Seventeen

ONE YEAR LATER

It had been a full year since that day I shot Darren and I had become accustomed to the aching hole in my heart, I learned to live with it. I stood fighting Cal in the training center at The Immunity Base, my last training session had been yesterday but I didn't want to stop practicing my fighting. He swung at me and I deflected it with my left forearm, jabbing at him harshly with my right fist. Once he doubled over, I slammed my right elbow on his back, watching as he collapsed to the ground. He rolled over to his back, panting and chuckling, "Why did I agree to fight you? You obviously surpassed me in the whole fighting skills category."

"Oh please, Cal. There are no categories here, everyone has their own skill that they are good at."

"And you happen to be good at everything," he smirked, taking the hand I offered him and standing up.

I punched his arm, a little harder than I meant to, "Shut up, that's not true. I can't do a flip to save my life."

He was rubbing his arm where I had punched him, I forgot how strong I had gotten over the year of intense endurance and muscle training I had undergone. He sighed, "Yeah but that's it! You're not just good at being a guard but a mother too, you're not human!"

I laughed, "I'm not as good at being a mother as you'd think. It's hard, especially since they started to become more mobile."

He rolled his eyes, then opened his mouth to speak but was cut off by my wristwatch buzzing. I sighed, tapping the screen to read the message from Nova: "Come to my office. Now." I looked at Cal, "That's Nova, I have to go, okay? Sorry."

He shrugged, grabbing a towel, wiping the sweat off his neck, "You're okay. Save the world Superwoman."

I laughed and headed out the doors and into the mosaic hallway, it was easy to find my way around now. I had lots of practice, lots and lots. I finally made it to Nova's office and pushed the doors open, looking at the scene before me in surprise.

Sona was standing at the black marble table that had been put in the office once Nova and I had strategized ways to take down the government. There were maps and notes spread out all over it and Sona was pointing to the largest one of Washington D.C. She was in the middle of yelling at her mother and my presence went unnoticed.

Yeah, Nova was Sona's mother and it came as a shock to me too. They have very few similarities except they are both incredibly stubborn and amazingly intelligent. Sona was a engineer, mechanic, medical assistant, and babysitter all wrapped into one person and I admired her more and more with every passing day. Her brain was hardwired to fix anything, whether it's metal or flesh but she was incredibly talented with engineering things. She created twelve red and gold drones that had a gravity field they could project around them. Nova had sent them up to the surface the day we returned from a whole day of picking up bodies and they finished moving every body out of London within a month. I asked Sona how they could do that job so fast once they had returned a month later and she told me they could lift twenty bodies at a time using the gravity field to make the bodies anti-gravity and able to lift into the air, then they would float to the pile and drop all the bodies into the pile. I had been shocked at how smart this sixteen year old girl was.

She looked ten years older when she was angry, "Seriously Mom? Why the hell can't I go?"

"Because I need you here," Nova replied calmly, but I could tell she was about to snap.

I cleared my throat, glancing nervously at the already agitated Nova, "Should I come back later?"

"No, Phoebe, come on in, Sona and I will be done in a minute."