A Performance I Was Not Meant To Attend

A knock at the door jars me back into reality.

          "P-Please, come in." I call, my heart in my throat.

     Christine walks, no, glides in with a beautiful smile, and it makes me happy to know that that smile is just for me.

          "Are you ready for tonight?" She queries, her voice excited.

          "I don't know. I mean, I guess I am."

     In all honesty, I don't feel ready at all. My unease from moments ago seems to have completely wiped my memory of everything I'm to be doing tonight. I find myself wishing Sarra would have contacted Christine sooner, so I'd be more equip for what is to come.

     Another factor in my uncertainty for the show, is that this opera house seems to amplify my feelings of allure for the darkness in my dreams. A feeling of foreshadowing seems to resonate within my bones, and I can hear the darkness calling me.

     Shadow. I could promise that I hear a voice calling me.

     When Christine looks into my eyes, I can tell she senses my nerves.

          "Are you alright, Shadow?"

     I want to tell her the truth. I wish to speak with her about every fear about the darkness that ails me. I desire to confide in her about how I feel like I'm being watched and can hear voices all around me.

          "Just nightmares I had over at the other opera house." I exhale, glad to have the confession escape.

          "Aww, well, don't worry about that at the moment. I'm here with you now." She grins. "You'll be alright."

     As though fate is mocking me, I suddenly hear someone scream. The prima donna from earlier - Carlotta - storms into our room and walks up to me, getting right in my face.

          "HOW DARE YOU!!" She slaps me once across the cheek, so hard that I'd have been more pleased if she had punched me.

     The cool feeling from being smacked makes it feel like my cheek is bleeding, but I'm too concerned with what on Earth I've done to make her so mad at me.

          "Signora!" Christine exclaims. "Why would you do such a thing?! What has she done to you? She just got here!"

          "What has she done to me?! She's trying to take the spotlight away from me! Just like you! Why else would she have come here?! A famous Daae! I would have absolutely no doubt in my mind that you both are working to get me out of here together!" She yells furiously.

          "Signora, please! She just got here. No one has even heard her sing!"

     Carlotta clearly has no intention of listening to Christine's explanation, because she turns on her heel while Christine is talking and leaves without so much as a second glance at me.

     A light pressure is felt on my cheek, and I realize that Christine is kissing my cheek. Soon, she has me collected in her arms and is whispering reassuring words to me.

          "It'll be okay, Shadow. Don't mind her. She's just the prima donna. Are you okay? Do you feel like you're well-trained enough from today to do the show?"

     My mind could care less about the performance tonight at this point. My parents used to always lose their tempers with me before I was orphaned. I'm used to being yelled at, both for things I deserve and things I don't, but never before has anyone ever been angry enough with me to slap me.