Conflicted

Ah, it feels wonderful to be putting up regular updates again!

------------------------

Phantom's POV

           If he has to kill everyone in this opera including you, Shadow, he will.

          H-He's my friend. . .h-he wouldn't—

          He will, Shadow.

     The words exchanged between Christine and Shadow bounce around in my head without end, my heart truly sorrowful for Shadow.

     Raoul and Christine were being very harsh with her about me.

     Yet, Shadow still continued to stand up for me, and no one has ever done that before.

     When I hear silence behind the mirror, I know that Christine and the fop have retreated from the room, leaving Shadow alone. I stay for a few seconds to see if she plans to do anything, or if she's actually sleeping.

     It isn't long before I see her form gliding toward the mirror. I back up against the wall and blend in so that she doesn't see me at first.

          "I knew you would come." I whisper, putting a hand on her shoulder and scaring her momentarily. "You need not come to warn me. I've already heard."

          "Monsieur, they'll kill you!" She tells me in a broken voice.

          "Nonsense. They have no idea what they're up against." I boldly proclaim.

     Shadow's eyes have lost their light, as she looks up at me with her dark brown eyes.

          "Please, Monsieur! I beg you not to go."

          "Your pleas fall on deaf ears for the night, Mademoiselle, I am sorry." I respond, hating myself for the glassiness that coats her eyes at my answer. "Please, do not be upset."

          "You can't go!" She shrieks, her hands suddenly clutching the fabric of my shirt. "You simply can't! Please!" Her head is buried into my chest.

          "Mademoiselle, I must."

          "Why?!" She gasps in exasperation, looking up at me. "Why must you go?!"

          "I love Christine." I argue, though the words don't ring as true as normal.

     Shadow's eyes darkened even more so, and her arms dropped limply to her side.

          "Monsieur—"

          "Erik," The words fly out of my mouth before I can stop them. "My name is Erik."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shadow's POV

     Erik.

     The name sends a flood of warmth to my heart, but I remember that I'm trying to persuade him to stay, and I harden my gaze at him again.

          "Erik. . ." My eyes meet his, and I'm not sure what I see in his but I desperately yearn for him to see the affection that I'm sure is present in mine. "Erik, you can't go."

          "Shadow. . ." He purrs, his hand reaching out to caress my cheek.

     My eyes flutter closed and I lean into his gentle hold, wishing that I could do something to make him stop whatever plan he has for Don Juan. I can feel his thumb gentle rub my cheek, and I place my hands over his, never wanting to leave.