Prologue

"Where do you think you're going?" the figure asked his prey. Shadows surrounded the terrified morsel that stood before him. The poor man couldn't find the words to speak. Those red eyes, that glared at him from the shadows, were too frightening to understand. Why had he been chosen to be this devil's prey? Surely there was something better around for such a sophisticated demon. Right? Wrong.

"D-don't hurt me..." he finally managed to whisper. Those stuttering words landed on uncaring ears. The demon didn't care about this human. He simply wished to eat it. Would you ask the cow if she was having a nice day? Before slaughtering her to enjoy a steak? Of course not! This demon was just the same. He was hungry; starving. He hadn't eaten in years. Never again would he wait so long to feast. The demon feared if he did wait, the same terrible experience would happen again...his food would capture his nonexistent soul and steal his heart. The demon knew all too well how much one measly human could do. For he already had experienced such a thing.

He feasted upon his prey and quickly returned to his human-like form. Licking his lips he tasted the wretched flavour of that human's soul. Would he ever be able to find someone quite like that one individual? A silent tear fell from the demon's eye. Emotions were not something that his kind were used to.

He moved out again into the darkness of the night. This lonely demon was searching...searching for another to replace the hole in his heart, his heart that shouldn't exist. Someone that would make him wait to eat. Another person he didn't want to lose. Another individual that he would regret eating.

A human like his beloved Leic.

...

"Is it morning already?" the lonely demon thought aloud. He had fallen asleep in an alleyway of some place he believed was London. His clothing was tattered and his hair was disheveled. He couldn't care less about what he looked like, for he didn't care at all about his sad excuse of an existence. It didn't matter anymore to him. His life is nothing without Leic.

He had been living like this for a long time now, not sure how long, maybe at least a 100 years, maybe 2,000. Ever since that day he hadn't payed attention to the time. When you're a demon, time is a useless device. Day after day he would spend all night capturing humans and eating their souls. There wasn't a need to form a contract with them. Surprisingly enough, none of the humans had started any rumors about the random disappearances of others. The demon had just assumed they were all idiots.

Truth of the matter is: the demon had an admirer. This admirer had noticed him from the first moment of his life, and spent every moment after protecting him from the other humans. The admirer wasn't in love with the demon, but it was something close to it. And today, he would finally gain the courage to speak to the demon.

The admirer wasn't born into a rich family, but over time he had become well known. He had to, in order to keep his demon safe. The man walked into the alley that the demon slumbered in. He was surprised at the state his precious demon was in and rushed to his side.

The demon opened his red eyes and gazed at the man. He had never seen such a person in his life before. "Who are you? What are you doing here?" the demon asked. His voice was raspy. He hadn't spoken in a long time, (unless, of course, to his prey, but that was usually more of a psychic thing).

"My name is Vincent Phantomhive. I am here to help you," the demon laughed at the statement. Help him? You're a human. A pitiful creature. You can't even help yourself and you expect to help him? The demon burst into a fit of laughter at this point. He was unable to hold it back. This was just too amusing.