Chapter 9, Part 3

We were going to the ice rink today. Lucas took up Dad's offer on playing hockey with the boys, so they've been planning this for the past week. We were all waiting in the living room for Lucas.

The boys had their hockey gear on. "Ugh," Ryland groaned, "Can't we just ditch him? We've been waiting too long!" "Ry, no, that's rude. Besides, who are you to complain? We've only been waiting for 15 minutes," Mama scolded. Ryland groaned, once more.

I rolled my eyes. The doorbell rang. "I got it!" I exclaimed. Riker stepped in front of me before I could get to the door. Rocky opened the door while Riker blocked me. "Hey guys-" Lucas started. Ross pushed him out of the house while Riker, Rocky, and Ryland followed. They closed the door behind them.

"What are they doing?" I asked, confusion and worry evident on my face. "Don't worry, Reignbow. They're not going to hurt him," Ratliff said. "They're just giving him a talk. You know how competitive they get," Rydel added. I relaxed at their words.

The door opened and the boys walked in. I saw there was no signs of a fight and let out a breath of relief. "So, we ready to go?" Riker asked...

"Nice shot, Ross!" I exclaimed. He waved back and I saw him smile through his mask. It was a small scrimmage. We were the only ones in the rink today. It was Riker, Ross, and Lucas on one team and Rocky, Dad, and Ryland on the other. Both teams were evenly skilled and were both playing their hardest. Lucas scored a point. The puck flew right by Ryland and I saw a surprised expression on his face. Dare I say, he might have been even a little impressed.

They took a break after a while. "Hey, where did Ell, Delly, and Mom go?" Dad asked. "They went to the other rink to go skate," I replied. "Why didn't you join them?" Riker asked. "I'm okay. Besides, I wanted to watch you guys," I said. "Aww, our baby is adorable," Rocky cooed in a patronizing tone while hugging me from behind the bench. "Yes she is, yes she is," Ross cooed while pinching my cheeks. "Guys, this is demeaning," I said, annoyed and blushing.

"Aww, how cute," some teenage boy said, sarcastically. "It's also disgusting. How about you guys clear out of our rink," another boy said. The boys kept pilling in until about six boys were present. "Oh please," Riker said, "We got here first. So maybe you kids should leave." "Grandpa, I suggest you shut up and step aside," a blue-haired boy said. "And I suggest you show some respect before things get ugly," I said, standing.

I was surprised at myself. This was another me. A dream me. A me that I always wish I could be, but never had the courage to show. The old me would never have stood up against a boy. My brothers knew this as well. Judging by the look on their faces, they were surprised and proud.

I looked back at the blue-haired boy. "Well, lookie here, fellas. We got a tough chick," he said. He stepped towards me. I tried to step back but the bench was in the way. "I like that in a girl," he whispered in my ear. I was disgusted. I saw Ross try to lunge at him, but Dad held him back. "Okay, we'll leave. We just don't any trouble," Dad reasoned. "Good riddance, Grandpas," Blueberry Head said. He turned to me, "Call me, babe. We should hook up, sometime."

I punched him square in the face. "Sorry, sweetie. I don't need any dead weight holding me down," I snapped. I saw in his eyes he was furious. He raised his hand to slap me but a hand caught him. We both looked to the side and saw that it was Lucas. "How about we settle this like men, kid?" he asked...

(I'm so sorry if any of you are hockey players and you're offended by how I wrote the following scene. I don't play hockey, so I had to do some research. I tried my absolute best.)

The score was tied and it was the third period. I was keeping track of the 20 minutes of each period on my phone. Both teams were evenly matched. My family was playing their absolute hardest. I could tell Lucas was tired, but he was pushing his hardest. The opposing team was better than I expected. They must play on a school team together, I thought.

It was the last minute of the game and no one has scored yet. We were still tied. Ryland passed the puck to Riker. Riker passed it to Rocky. Rocky juked Blueberry Head and passed the puck to Dad. Dad dodged a red-headed boy and passed the puck to Ross. Ross neared the goal and lined up for the shot. He shot it, but the opposing goalie blocked it. Lucas blocked the puck from traveling farther with his hockey stick. He traveled to the goal, blocking and juking players of the other team on the way. He lined up for the shot and went for it. He scored! My phone alarm went off, telling me it was the end of the game. We won!

My family cheered and celebrated. Lucas took a victory lap across the rink. The high school boys angrily stormed out of the rink, led by Blueberry Head. Riker and Ross were carrying Lucas around, champion-style. The rest of us were cheering Lucas's name. "Lucas, Lucas, Lucas!" we repeatedly cheered...

Hey guys!! Hope you liked this chapter! Remember to comment. Specifically, tell me how you guys feel about Lucas. Do you like him? How do you feel about him and Rei? Do you ship those two? Anyway, thanks for reading! Love you guys, lots!! Bye ❤️✌️❤️