The Beginning

Never in her life had Happy been so embarrassed to go somewhere. It had been the fifth customer at the garage she and her father owned to recommend she attend an anger management class. As if she were some teenager that couldn't control her anger.

She entered the class and saw chairs arranged in a circle. At the front of the circle, a man was slouched in his seat with a fedora over his eyes. He was sleeping. People were scattered around the circle. Most everyone was wearing a frown and at least one black article of clothing. Some were talking and a few were folded in on themselves. Happy hoped this class wouldn't be one where she would have to talk.

The class was set to start at five. It was already quarter past. Some of the people sitting around the circle whispered and pointed to the sleeping man. Perhaps he was to lead the group.

"Hey, wake up," Happy growled and kicked his chair, and the man shook awake. He blinked and looked around, then seemed to realise where he was.

"Alright, guys," he clapped his hands together and everyone stopped talking. "Let's get started."

Happy took her seat and waited for the class to begin.

"I'm Tobias Curtis, but you guys can call me Toby. And today we'll be getting to know about each other's problems. Who's first?" When nobody volunteered to speak first, he picked a man in his forties, sitting alone. "You. What are your issues?"

The man sighed and stood up. "Hi. My name is Steve."

"Hi, Steve." The group echoed. Happy snorted and even Toby seemed to be hiding a smile.

"Uh, I've been angry at life for a year now. It started when my brother died. . ." Steve's voice faded out as Happy started drifting off. It wasn't that his story was boring (though it was), but rather the droning of his voice that sent her to sleep.

"Excuse me, miss. It's rude to sleep while others are sharing," Toby reminded her.

Happy opened her eyes. "Well it's also rude to talk while others are sleeping." She just had to sit through this hour then she would be free.

"Well if you think Steve's story is so boring, why don't you share yours?" Toby prompted. Happy scowled. "Do I have to?" She asked. The leader nodded and gestured for her to stand.

Happy sighed and stood reluctantly. "I'm Happy." She said.

"And I'm hungover but you don't see me telling everyone," Toby called out and a few people laughed. Great, her first day at the group and she was already being teased.

"Ha ha," she said dryly. Toby raised his eyebrows. "So, Happy, tell us about yourself."

"What do you want to know?" She challenged.

"What do you do for a living?" Someone in the group called out. Happy thought his name might be Isaac. The blind kid.

"I'm an engineer and my father and I own a garage."

"An engineer working in a garage?" Toby questioned. "That certainly doesn't seem the breadth of your ability."

"I like cars," Happy snapped and sat down.

"Well. Now that Happy's done, who's next?"

**

Finally the class ended. Happy picked up her shoulder bag and started walking towards the door. Just before she left, someone grabbed her arm to stop her from leaving. Toby, the group leader.

"There's no need to be so hostile. We're all here to help each other."

Happy pulled her arm out of his grasp. "Thanks, but I don't need your help, Doc." She said.

His eyes were suddenly sombre. "Hey, we all need help sometimes," he said. With a roll of her eyes, Happy left. She didn't need help, thank you very much. She was just fine.