Good Morning, Sweetheart

I Don't Want to Love Somebody Else by A Great Big World for appropriate quintis feels.

Happy POV

That same night, Happy found herself lying in bed, unable to fall asleep. Her nerves were still on fire, and she could almost feel Toby's lips against hers. She wondered if he felt better now. It was the least she could do for him, to lighten his burden.

Every time she closed her eyes, she saw Toby's hungry eyes burning into hers. She would reopen her eyes, only for them to shut again, restarting the cycle.

After what felt like a few years, Happy checked the time on her alarm clock. It was 2 a.m. already. Rubbing her hands over her eyes, she got up to get a drink of water. On the way to the kitchen, she spotted her phone laying next to her keys. She picked it up and flicked through it.

A thought entered her head, and before she could discard it, she decided to send Toby a message. Who knew; maybe he couldn't sleep either.

She typed in a quick greeting and pressed 'send' before putting her phone down and going to fetch some water.

The whole time, she kept thinking that of course Toby would be asleep and who the hell is even awake at 2 a.m. and maybe she should try some hot milk.

She wagered a glance at her phone, and to her surprise, she saw Toby had replied. His text read: 'Good morning, sweetheart."

After a minute of staring at the screen, trying to find a sentence that would convey her chagrin at the nickname without turning him away, her phone rang.

Happy stared at Toby's name on the screen for a few seconds, before quickly answering and pressing the phone to her ear.

"Yeah?"

"Morning, sweetheart." Toby sounded much too cheerful than was appropriate for 2 a.m. in the morning. She thought back to Toby's impromptu jogging and boxing lessons and smiled.

"I'm not your sweetheart. Don't call me that."

"Oh, Hap, you know you love it."

Happy rolled her eyes, then, realising that Toby couldn't see her, started explaining herself. "I'm -"

"Rolling your eyes?" Toby interrupted her. "Yeah, I guessed. So why are you still awake at this unholy hour?"

"I, uh..." Happy's words tripped over themselves, while the cogs in her brain raced to think up a viable reason for her still being awake. Surely she couldn't tell him that her head was filled with thoughts of him. No, his ego was big enough already. She didn't need to boost it.

"I was getting hot. And the A/C's broken."

"Really, Happy, you're a genius engineer. I'm sure you could fix a simple A/C."

Happy cursed herself for not thinking her reply through. "Uh, yeah. Whatever. Why are you awake?"

Toby answered immediately. "Well, you see, a little while ago this beautiful woman marched into my apartment, kissed the hell outta me, and pulled me out of my funk. And now my loins are on fire so I guess I have a situation."

Happy couldn't help the laugh that slipped from her lips, no matter how tightly she clamped her mouth shut. Toby, the smart bastard, seemed to pick up on this. She could almost see the proud look on his face at making her laugh.

After a minute of comfortable silence, Toby spoke.

"Happy?" His voice was soft and quiet.

"Yeah, Toby. What is it?"

"What are we now?"

Happy paused before answering. "Well I'm still Happy, and you're still Toby. That hasn't changed."

"Well yeah. But are we Happy and Toby or are we Happy and Toby?"

She heard the implication in his voice. "Is this your suave way of asking me out, Doc?"

"Maybe. Did it work? Happy Quinn, are you ready to be one half of the hottest couple in America?"

Happy thought and thought and thought before answering. "I have conditions. No psychoanalysing me, especially not on dates. Also, this won't come in the way of our professional relationship."

"That's it?"

"I'm sure I'll think of something else. Until then, yeah, that's it. I'll go out with you."

Happy could almost see Toby's grin, as if he were in the room with her.

"Great, Hap. We be datin'."

Happy laughed before checking the time on her phone. "Wow. It's nearly 3 a.m."

"Yeah, yeah it is."

"Have we been talking for nearly an hour?"

"I guess so. Although I'll never get tired of speaking with you. You should probably get some sleep though, Happy. It is late."

Happy sighed before agreeing with him. They said their goodbyes, Toby being idiotically adorable and caring. Happy was the one to hang up, in the end, and immediately went to bed again.

Hopefully now she would be able to sleep, knowing that she and Toby were officially together. If only she could get herself to stop smiling.

**

Toby POV

Toby could not get himself to stop smiling. He had dreamt of this very moment since he felt himself falling for Happy Quinn.

He still wasn't entirely sure how this had happened. Ever since his divorce with Katja, he thought he'd never find someone again. Sure, Toby certainly didn't have any trouble picking up women. Hell, he was a behaviourist with an IQ way above average; so he didn't have any problems in that department. But when a woman started spending more time with him, she would leave.

But for some reason unknown to him, Happy seemed to like him. Sure, she was hostile and feisty, but that was precisely what drew Toby to her. She wasn't prepared to settle for anything other than the best, so he was confused. However, he thought if he asked her about it, she would leave, for sure. So he'd smile and nod and take what he got.

Every time he closed his eyes, he saw the image of her imprinted onto the backs of his eyelids. God, she was beautiful.

He could spend hours just thinking about her. Her eyes, her hair, and her lips. God, her lips drove him crazy. And after last night, Toby knew he would rather die than never kiss her again.

He would fascinate himself for hours on end, picturing her work. Fixing cars, or machines or building things that looked like junk to Toby, but that Happy could talk about for hours. He would watch her fix systems, while he thought of ways to fix her.

Perhaps he shouldn't put it like that. She wasn't a broken machine that needed a good oiling (though God knew he could give her one.) No, she was a beautiful collaboration of scowls and oil-stained hands and the smell of metal and he couldn't get enough of her.

He pulled himself out of his reverie, to see the first rays of sun leak through his bedroom window. Great. A brand new day, with absolutely no sleep behind him. But Toby couldn't bring himself to be upset over his loss of sleep. No, he was very happy about it indeed.