Chapters 23-24

Chapter Twenty-three

Collins became a ubiquitous, unwanted presence in the department. He was intrusive, especially to those below his rank, which was almost everyone, since most of the scientists were civilians. But the Army had been put back in charge of the Manhattan Project, and Collins was free to meddle. Every day he demanded clearances, records, documents, and memos, disrupting both Lena and Sonia's workload. They understood the importance of security, but Collins used it as a cudgel to force his way into situations. The only person who could control him was Compton, but he was preoccupied by meetings with top army and government officials and wasn't around much. Most of the staff came to loathe Collins.

Because of him, Lena told Hans she'd have to slow down for a while. It was too risky. Hans agreed. Lena was happy to leave work at a reasonable time for a change, and spent more time with Max. He was three and a half now, and a curious child. He asked questions all the time, and Lena found herself studying how birds flew, how clouds formed, and why leaves turned colors.

Meanwhile Irving continued to be worrisome. Lena hadn't had the heart to tell him they were through. Still, she did cut down on the time she spent with him, and she could tell he was growing frustrated. She worried about how he'd react when she told him it was over.

***

The crisis came in October. Lena had just put Max down for the night when the buzzer sounded. She pressed the intercom button, and a crisp voice said, "This is Colonel Collins."

Lena's knees buckled. Why was he here? Had he discovered proof of her treason? Was this the knock on her door in the middle of the night? She feared the worst. Still, she'd learned to be on the offense with him. "Colonel," she said sharply. "It's late. I'm just about to retire for the night."

He cleared his throat. "I have urgent business to discuss."

Her throat closed up. What should she do? His voice cut in. "Please, Mrs. Stern."

She drew back. He sounded almost polite. Could it possibly be about something other than her espionage? She took a breath and buzzed him in.

When she opened the door, she saw he was still in uniform, but it was wrinkled and creased as if he'd been rolling around on the floor. His face was pale as well. Normally, he had a too ruddy look. She smelled alcohol on him.

"Thank you for seeing me," he said.

She gave him a cautious nod. "Come in, Colonel. But please keep your voice down. My son is asleep."

He stepped in and looked around. Lena's natural civility kicked in.

"Would you like a glass of water?"

"You got anything stronger?"

Surprised at the request, she stammered, "I—I— might." She went into the kitchen and rummaged through a cabinet. Irving had brought over some whiskey a few months earlier. She found it behind the canisters of flour and sugar. It was nearly full. About to ask him how he took it, she turned around and suddenly started. Collins was standing in the doorway to the kitchen. She hadn't heard him approach. She jumped back. This is it, she thought. I am gefickt.

He held up his hand. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to frighten you."

She let out a breath, trying to suppress her fear. "How—how do you take it? The whiskey, I mean?"

"Straight. Just a glass."

She got one out, filled it halfway, and handed it to him. They headed back to the living room. Lena sat in the chair, leaving him the sofa. She laced her hands together.