Gone

We packed up the rest of our things once morning came. Sean made cereal for the both of us and then we waited, eager for our ride.

What if the people were mean? What if the other kids at the orphanage didn't like me? Would they even feed us?

Sean was standing at the door, staring out the window, bag in hand.

It didn't take us long at all to pack. We didn't have much at all. Just clothes and a couple pictures.

I'd gone into my mother's room. She'd taken all of the pictures of her and Dustin but there was still one on her desk. It was the only picture we had with all of us.

I quickly slipped it into my bag before I had a change of heart and decided to leave it.

I was sitting at the kitchen table now, watching Sean as he stared out. He had no expression but at least I knew he wasn't worried. I wondered what his plan was.

"C'mon." He said suddenly as he opened the door. I took a deep breathe and headed out behind him.

I closed the door behind me but I held on to the doorknob for a moment longer.

This was where it all started and now it's where it all ends. I felt my throat choke up but I fought it all back.

There was a black car at the end of our sidewalk. It wasn't anything fancy but that didn't stop Sean from hopping in the front seat.

"Seatbelt." He instructed once I'd gotten in.

The driver was a women. She had jet black hair that was pinpoint straight. Her lips were a bright red and her eyes glowed with a solid green. She was very attractive but much too old for me or Sean.

She looked as though she was a plastic Barbie doll with her almost toy-like smile.

"Are we ready?" She asked a tad too cheerfully.

"Ready as I'll ever be." I whispered.

***

It began to rain after awhile, the drops making trails on my window.

"Are we almost there?" I asked.

"Just about half an hour left." The cheery women answered.

"Where is this even at?"

"Mid-town Chicago."

I sighed, resting my elbow on the sill of the car window and laying my head in my hand.

Maybe it'll be fun. Aren't new adventures always fun?